Luis Suarez Rumours: Latest Transfer News Surrounding Star During 4-Month Ban

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Luis Suarez Rumours: Latest Transfer News Surrounding Star During 4-Month Ban
Claudio Villa/Getty Images

Updates from Thursday, July 10

Luis Suarez's seemingly imminent move to Barcelona now rests on two factors according to the British press on Thursday.

The Daily Mirror's David Anderson claims Liverpool will settle for nothing less than £75 million, and have told Barcelona a deal will only be done when that figure is met:

Liverpool will sell Luis Suarez this weekend if Barcelona meet their £75million asking fee.

The Anfield club believe they can settle on a deal, and the Spanish giants’ medical team is on standby to confirm the striker is ­physically fit.

Simon Jones of the Daily Mail, meanwhile, reports that Suarez's move will be triggered by Alexis Sanchez's transfer to Arsenal, which will free up the necessary finds:

Barcelona hope to formally announce the signing of Luis Suarez on Thursday once Alexis Sanchez is confirmed as an Arsenal player.

[...]

With Arsene Wenger confident of concluding a £30million deal for Barcelona forward Sanchez imminently, then Suarez's £75m move to Catalonia could also be completed.

 

Updates from Wednesday, July 9

Luis Suarez may leave Liverpool for as little as £58 million, according to reports emerging from Spain on Wednesday.

As the deal to take the Uruguayan to Barcelona moves closer, El Mundo Deportivo reports the following, noted by Ben Jefferson of the Daily Express:

Barcelona are set to announce today that they have agreed a £58m deal to sign Luis Suarez from Liverpool.

[...]

Suarez reportedly had a buy-out fee for foreign clubs of £70m but Barcelona have been able to negotiate a significant discount on that price.

 

Updates from Tuesday, July 8

Bleacher Report football journalist Guillem Balague reports that Luis Suarez's move to Barcelona is expected to be completed within the coming days, per Sky Sports:

Speaking to Sky Sports News, Balague said: 'It's quite clear that Barcelona and Luis Suarez are on the same wavelength.

'Liverpool have given up on him and the figure that Barcelona need to pay has been reported at round £70m to £80m. In any case, that is as much as Liverpool wanted. 

'There seems to be an early payment of 40m euros which Barcelona is waiting for the sale of Alexis Sanchez to be able to say 'here is the money'.

'But, in any case, it is going to happen and Luis Saurez's family expects it to be confirmed by the end of this week.'

The deal that takes Luis Suarez from Liverpool to Barcelona is now only being held up by negotiations over the structure of payments paid by the Catalan giants.

Simon Jones of the Daily Mail reports:

Barcelona are trying to find a structure of payment to suit Liverpool’s demands over Luis Suarez.

Liverpool are holding out for £75million but Barcelona are hoping to make the payment in stages, with part based on performances.

 

Updates from Monday, July 7

Luis Suarez will move to Barcelona from Liverpool for a £62.6 million fee, according to Spanish TV station TV 3.

Metro provides the latest report to come out of Spain:

Barcelona have reportedly closed a deal with both Liverpool and Luis Suarez over the Uruguayan’s £62.6 million summer move.

The striker will sign a contract making him the fourth highest paid player at Camp Nou, behind Lionel Messi, Neymar and Andres Iniesta, according to Spanish TV station TV3.

 

Updates from Saturday, July 5

The Guardian has the latest update on Suarez's transfer saga:

Liverpool’s attempts to persuade the Barcelona forward Alexis Sánchez to move to Anfield mean Luis Suárez’s transfer to the Camp Nou will not be concluded until next week at the earliest.

Reports emerging from Spain claimed a straight cash fee had been agreed which is lower than the buyout clause, believed to be between £70m and £80m, in the Uruguay international’s contract.

However, there is no consistent agreement on what that new figure is – the most common suggestion being €75m (£60m) – but sources close to the Liverpool end of the deal categorically state there is no truth in the claims.

Updates from Friday, July 4

Luis Suarez's anticipated transfer from Barcelona to Liverpool is gathering pace as reports of an imminent deal emerged on Friday.

Stan Collymore of talkSPORT reports Liverpool and Barcelona have reached an agreement:

Ben Smith of BBC Sport provides more details:

The Daily Mail's Simon Jones previously claimed a move was close for the Uruguayan, reporting it may even be concluded by the end of the weekend:

Barcelona expect to finalise a deal for Liverpool striker Luis Suarez over the next 48 hours.

Talks are ongoing and the Spanish club is concentrating on a straight cash deal for the 27-year-old who Liverpool value at £80million.

Sky Sports reported a similar story, claiming only the fee was left to be resolved:

Luis Suarez's move from Liverpool to Barcelona could be completed before the end of the weekend, Sky sources understand.

Talks between the clubs are ongoing, with only the fee for the striker's services the wrangling point.

Meanwhile, FIFA appears to have contradicted earlier claims from the Uruguayan FA regarding Suarez's ability to train during his worldwide ban from football.

The Guardian's Owen Gibson tweets the following:

 

Updates from Thursday, July 3

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has commented on the recent conduct of Luis Suarez, praising the player for making a public apology following his infamous biting attack on Giorgio Chiellini.

FIFA banned Suarez from football worldwide for four months following the incident, but Blatter made the following comment, per the London Evening Standard's Mike Collett-White:

He (Suarez) said 'I'm sorry' to the soccer family, and that's fair play too.

That shows he's a great player and I hope he can have his soccer career back.

Suarez's move from Liverpool to Barcelona is progressing, according to the general consensus of the English and Spanish media on Thursday.

However, there is less harmony among the press over the size of offer made by Barcelona. Originally reported to be under £60 million, Simon Jones of the Daily Mail is one of a number of journalists to place the figure somewhat higher:

Liverpool and Barcelona will hold further talks over the sale of Luis Suarez this week after the Spanish club made an opening offer understood to be around £72million.

The outline bid is still short of Liverpool's £80m valuation but shows an acceptance of the 27-year-old's worth.

James Masters of CNN adds more to the reports regarding a potential Barcelona move:

Eurosport UK (via Yahoo Sports) passed along more on Suarez's ban and how it would impact his club:

However Claudio Sulser, the head of FIFA's disciplinary committee, said in Rio de Janeiro on Thursday, when asked if Suarez would be banned from training:

"No you can't limit those rights to the player, because it would be disproportionate."

Updates from Wednesday, July 2

Stan Collymore of talkSPORT provides an update on Luis Suarez:

The positive soundbites regarding Suarez continue to emerge from Barcelona, this time from the mouth of president Josep Maria Bartomeu.

ESPN FC's Dermot Corrigan provides the latest:

BBC's Ben Smith reported on how the discussions went well between the two sides:

Reds chief executive Ian Ayre spent much of Wednesday in discussions with senior Barcelona officials in London.

The Reds remain adamant Suarez, 27, will not be sold for less than the release clause in his contract, believed to be between £70m and £80m.

"The talks held were productive," a senior Liverpool source told the BBC.

"There are sensible expectations on both sides.

"Further talks and discussions will take place but no deal has yet been finalised."

 

Updates from Tuesday, July 1

Andy Hunter of The Guardian reported the latest on Luis Suarez's potential transfer:

Liverpool have given the first indication that Luis Suárez’s future lies away from Anfield by agreeing to open talks with Barcelona over the transfer of the disgraced striker.

The Spanish club have not been deterred in their pursuit of the Uruguay international by the four-month ban from all football-related activities that he received for biting Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup. It is understood a delegation led by Barcelona’s director of football management, Raul Sanllehi, will meet Liverpool’s chief executive, Ian Ayre, in London on Wednesday for the opening round of negotiations over the 27-year-old.

Liverpool remain adamant Suárez will be sold only should a club meet a release-clause of around £80m that was included in the £200,000-a-week contract he signed in December. Their valuation has not altered since Suárez bit an opponent for the third time in three years, although Ayre is expected to register Liverpool’s interest in the Barcelona winger Alexis Sánchez being part of any transfer at the meeting with Sanllehi.

Barcelona have publicly praised the "honour" of Suarez in yet another move that will only fuel belief that the Liverpool man is heading to Spain this summer.

Speaking at the unveiling of new signing Ivan Rakitic, sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta fielded questions about Suarez's recent apology, following his high-profile World Cup bite.

According to the Daily Mail's Jack Gaughan, Zubizarreta replied: "Suarez had the honour to come out and apologise for his actions and now it's time for him to begin the recovery process."

Emilio Morenatti/Associated Press

Rakitic also got in on the act, adding to the positive noises coming out of the Camp Nou toward Suarez. The midfielder said: "To have the character and strength to apologise in front of the world shows what a noble person he is."

Former Liverpool director of football Damien Comolli has summed up the size of the task facing the Reds in their attempts to keep Suarez.

Comolli told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show that Suarez spends all his free time in Barcelona and has wanted to move to Spain for years, per talkSPORT's Nick Rostron-Pike:

Speaking to Luis before, and during, the World Cup, he’s always said he is very happy at Liverpool. 

But, during our time together at Anfield, he told me that his dream is to play in Spain at one point in his career, especially at Barcelona or Real Madrid.

His wife's family live in Spain, he’s in Barcelona every time he gets a couple of days off and has a house there.

 

Original Text

Fresh after Uruguay's exit from this summer's World Cup at the hands of Colombia, Luis Suarez now has a long and extremely interesting summer ahead of him.

The Liverpool striker's bite on Italian centre-back Giorgio Chiellini has thrown his Anfield status into doubt, and the speculation regarding his future is up for debate due to FIFA's resulting four-month ban.

Jamie Squire/Getty Images

The most intriguing development this week is also the most obscure, as Mark Ogden of The Telegraph reports that Kosovan Superleague club Hajvalia have offered Suarez sanctuary for the duration of his suspension.

Kosovo are not full members of FIFA and, as such, do not have to comply with the rules of the ban, as Ogden reports, offering an audacious transfer sum of £25,000 and wages of £1,200 a month until Suarez is permitted to return to full involvement in November.

However, the Daily Mail's Matt Lawton adds some confusion to the news:

Hajvalia director Xhavit Pacolli spoke to Kosovo newspaper Sport Plus this week, per Ogden's report, saying:

Suarez can't play in the next four months. As we are not part of Fifa yet, I think he can play in Kosovo, so we have an offer that we will send to Liverpool.

This is the maximum we can offer. We offered £25,000 and a salary of £1200 for each month. This might sound ridiculous to him, but that is all we can do. If he is willing to come and play for us, he is welcome. As we are not part of Fifa, it would be ideal for him.

The minnows still have major competition in the shape of Barcelona, however, and the Catalan giants remain adamant they can push through a deal regardless of Suarez's ban.

Ben Jefferson of the Express even goes as far in citing Spanish reports that claim the forward has agreed terms on a move to the Camp Nou.

Alex Caparros/Getty Images

Allegedly, personal terms are in place, meaning the only matters still to be decided are the logistics of how the move will materialise.

The La Liga giants have been buoyed by the news that Real Madrid, according to the Mail Online, are no longer in the hunt for Suarez either, opting to place their faith in current playing staff instead:

Jefferson reports that £25 million-rated Alexis Sanchez will be offered along with a £25 million cash payment and another £5 million in add-ons.

The Daily Star's Steve Millar states that Liverpool won't be selling for a penny less than their £70 million valuation of the player, but Jefferson writes that Barca won't be willing to go above £56 million in their pursuit.

Load More Stories

Follow Liverpool from B/R on Facebook

Follow Liverpool from B/R on Facebook and get the latest updates straight to your newsfeed!

Out of Bounds

Transfer News

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.