Lynne Sladky/Associated Press
But wait Dolphins fans! It gets better!
Last year, the Dolphins' offensive line was an absolute wreck. No team in the NFL allowed more sacks.
Miami was aggressive in addressing the issue in the offseason, signing free agent tackle Branden Albert and drafting Tennessee's Ja'Wuan James in the first round in May.
Now,however, the holdover who was expected to hold the whole thing together will be sidelined indefinitely.
As Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reported, Pro Bowl center Mike Pouncey underwent hip surgery that will cost the 24-year-old at least three months:
Can confirm ESPN report on Mike Pouncey requiring hip surgery. The procedure took place today and I'm told it's at least a 3 month recovery
— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) June 23, 2014
James Walker of ESPN passed along word that Sam Brenner has worked as the second-team center in OTAs, but Walker also wrote that "Brenner has never started at center at any level. Do the Dolphins want Brenner learning on the job against the AFC East rival New England Patriots and Buffalo Bills?"
Omar Kelly of The South Florida Sun-Sentinel tweeted another possibility:
Not sure why people assume Sam Brenner instantly becomes starting center for Miami. Who filled in for Mike Pouncey last year? Nate Garner.
— Omar Kelly (@OmarKelly) June 23, 2014
However, as Walker said, "Garner’s biggest strength is he can play every position. But the bad news is he’s average -- at best -- at every position. Average may not be good enough in the middle of Miami’s offensive line."
Much remains unknown, including how many regular-season games Pouncey might miss.
What is certain is that the Dolphins are experiencing the worst sort of deja vu on the offensive line this summer.