Cal Volleyball 2008 Profile: Morgan Beck
We covered Angie Pressey last week; this week we’re profiling our upcoming senior hitter Morgan Beck, last year an All Pac-10 honorable mention.
Morgan Beck is one striking California Golden Bear. Judging from the images, you’d think you’d rather see her playing on the beach, hitting the sand, and then cooling off in the ocean. Once you see her play though, all warm-blooded males we’ll see there’s much more to Morgan than her looks. She’ll dazzle you with an array of moves on the court.
WHY SHE ROCKS:
- Hitter: First off she’s got tremendous hand speed (think golf club head speed) which results in balls that are hit incredibly hard. Courtside, the sound of her kills are just awesome, “SMACK!!!!… …crowd goes wild!!!” *obligatory girly high fives*.
- Killer Serve: She’s got a tremendous serve. She takes a running start 10 ft back, skies the ball about 20ft in the air, jumps and smacks it mid air. (Think Karch Karai, but with greater assets).
- Iron Curtain: She’s 6’3”, with very long arms so she’s a great blocker. After each block she does a Tiger fist-pump and yells,”YEEEHHHHAAAHHH!!!” We love it.
OUTLOOK FOR THIS SEASON:
- More Kills: She’s got to step up now that Angie Pressey is gone. Can we expect her to average 14 kills per game like Angie?… Hell yes, she’s got the talent to be just as good… and during the second UCLA game she smacked down 18 fricking kills!
- Serving Accuracy: Given her awesome service style, it’s puzzling why she doesn’t have more aces. Her placement is a bit off at times and she needs to improve that.
- Keep blocking: She’s already a great blocker. Hey Morgan, keep doing what you’re doing, but can we mix up the celebration? Along with the Tiger fist-pump, why not an occasional Sammy Sosa heaven-kiss? Or maybe the ‘Hawk’? Mix it up a little!
MESSAGE TO THE TEAM:
- Celebration after each play: What’s up with the group-hug/high-five celebration after each play? I understand celebrating after winning a point, but why celebrate when you give up a point? Can’t we get one in-your-face, “get you goddamn head in the game!!!” like we do in football?
- Why no butt-smacking: Us guys have to endure male-on-male butt-smacking in football and in baseball. Why no butt-smacking during a sport when we’d actually like to see it? Can’t we get a few congratulatory butt-smacks here and there? Please? …No?
Final thought: Once she graduates I guarantee you Nike will sign her. Mark my words.
Next Week (Saying goodbye to Ellen Orchard)
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?