2014 US Open (Golf)Download App

US Open 2014 Odds: Examining Betting Lines for Underrated Picks

There are reasons to think Bubba Watson should be the favorite, but other underrated golfers have a strong shot as well.
There are reasons to think Bubba Watson should be the favorite, but other underrated golfers have a strong shot as well.USA TODAY Sports
Sean HojnackiFeatured ColumnistJune 11, 2014

The 2014 U.S. Open at Pinehurst features one very unusual course change for the tournament: no rough. As the U.S. Open rotates around the country's many fine courses, the one tie uniting the sport's most challenging major from year to year has typically been thick, lustrous and sometimes inescapable rough left to grow so high it can swallow a vicious hack from an iron. 

The changes to the course should prove to have a significant impact on the result, and looking at the players with the best odds, Rory McIlroy (10-1) and Phil Mickelson (14-1) have shown inconsistency in droves this season.

McIlroy shot 15 strokes worse in his second round at The Memorial after a first-round 63, and Mickelson has missed five cuts this year. The other favorite from the top three, Adam Scott (12-1), has never finished in the top 10 at the U.S. Open. 

With Tiger Woods still out nursing an injury, the underwhelming group of favorites and change in course design set up the possibility that a golfer with long odds could take home the trophy. 

Best Odds to Win 2014 U.S. Open Championship
PlayerOdds
Rory McIlroy10-1
Adam Scott12-1
Phil Mickelson14-1
Bubba Watson18-1
Henrik Stenson25-1
Jordan Spieth25-1
Justin Rose25-1
Matt Kuchar25-1
Jason Day28-1
Dustin Johnson33-1
Lee Westwood33-1
Luke Donald33-1
Sergio Garcia33-1
Graeme McDowell40-1
Hideki Matsuyama40-1
Jason Dufner40-1
Jim Furyk40-1
Martin Kaymer40-1
Charl Schwartzel50-1
Hunter Mahan50-1
Jimmy Walker50-1
Steve Stricker50-1
Webb Simpson50-1
Zach Johnson50-1
Brandt Snedeker66-1
Ian Poulter66-1
Keegan Bradley66-1
Louis Oosthuizen66-1
Rickie Fowler66-1
Bill Haas80-1
Billy Horschel80-1
Gary Woodland80-1
Harris English80-1
Jonas Blixt80-1
Victor Dubuisson80-1
Brendon Todd100-1
Ernie Els100-1
Francesco Molinari100-1
Graham Delaet100-1
John Senden100-1
Kevin Na100-1
Patrick Reed100-1
Paul Casey100-1
Retief Goosen100-1
Ryan Moore100-1
Oddsshark.com

 

The Course

As noted by Golf.com's Joe Passov, Pinehurst offers an unprecedented set of challenges for the U.S. Open:

For the first time in modern history, (course architect) Bill Coore says, the U.S. Open will be played without its traditional rough. ... The fairways are wider, but they'll play firmer and faster, especially on the edges where irrigation heads were eliminated. With less resistance from thicker grass, more balls will race into the sandy scrub.

That will make for unpredictable lies even on the edge of the fairways, but because they are approximately 15 yards wider, bigger hitters figure to be at an advantage with accuracy a secondary concern.

Five of the course's par fours play longer than 500 yards, so length will be more important than merely staying away from the scrub. 

Driving well will also help players create more manageable approach shots, which will be vital for dealing with the course's unforgiving turtle-back greens. Jason Day, a 28-1 shot, explained just how treacherous those greens can be.

With the unique set of challenges landscaped into the Pinehurst course, certain players will be uniquely suited to rise to the leaderboard, and McIlroy, Mickelson and Scott are not among them:

The course creates an unusual degree of uncertainty as to how the tournament will play out. ESPN asked their panel of four experts: "How many players finish under par?" One said it would depend on the weather and the conditions, but somewhere between three and seven. Another said 15 to 20. The other two said zero. The consensus appears to be that no consensus exists.

 

Driving to Victory

Bubba Watson (18-1) and Dustin Johnson (33-1) are the only players on tour averaging over 310 yards per drive, per PGAtour.com. Importantly, they both achieve that length with admirable efficiency. Watson ranks seventh and Johnson 12th for greens hit in regulation (GIR).

Though he ranks 31st, Louis Oosthuizen (66-1) still hits nearly 68 percent of greens in regulation, and he's fourth on the tour in driving distance. In terms of long shots, don't overlook Graham Delaet (100-1) who ranks 10th on tour in distance and first in GIR at nearly 73 percent.

At 100-1, Graham Delaet's skills merit long-shot wager on victory.
At 100-1, Graham Delaet's skills merit long-shot wager on victory.USA TODAY Sports

These big hitters can counteract the unforgiving turtle-back greens with drive length and reasonable fairway accuracy, as shorter approach shots will help facilitate high balls and soft landings on the course's most punishing feature. 

 

Youth Movement?

In terms of younger players at Pinehurst with a shot at victory, 20-year-old Jordan Spieth (25-1) looks to have a strong chance to finish somewhere on the leaderboard.

Sep 21, 2013; Atlanta, GA, USA; Justin Spieth prepares to putt on the 18th green during the third round of the Tour Championship at East Lake Golf Club. Mandatory Credit: Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports
USA TODAY Sports

While much attention surrounds McIlroyESPN's Michael Collins said of Spieth:

He owns maturity beyond his years and the confidence in his shot-making abilities around the greens to save pars when others would not. Spieth might struggle with the pressure of expectations others are putting on him at such an early stage of his career, but if he can get through those, he can win.

Spieth has played well over the last two months, including a second-place finish at The Masters and a fourth-place showing at The Players Championship. McIlroy won the tournament at only 22, and Spieth will seek to become another young-blooded champ. 

However, a mammoth effort and maturity beyond his years would be needed from Spieth to avert any crooked numbers on the quirky course. He is unlikely to maintain the necessary composure required to win over four days, but weather will play a significant factor.

If rain slows the course and partially neutralizes some of the unique hazards, Spieth could indeed make a run like he did at Augusta. 

According to Weather.com, the forecast in Pinehurst, North Carolina calls for humid temperatures with highs at or near 90, plus a 60 percent chance of scattered thunderstorms on Thursday and a 40 percent chance the following three days.

With Tiger hurting and McIlroy sputtering, golf would delight in a fresh-faced new major champion.

 

Odds taken from Odds Shark on June 10 at 4 p.m. ET.

Where can I comment?

Stay on your game

Latest news, insights, and forecasts on your teams across leagues.

Choose Teams
Get it on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

Real-time news for your teams right on your mobile device.

Download
Copyright © 2017 Bleacher Report, Inc. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved. BleacherReport.com is part of Bleacher Report – Turner Sports Network, part of the Turner Sports and Entertainment Network. Certain photos copyright © 2017 Getty Images. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of Getty Images is strictly prohibited. AdChoices