UFC: Vitor Belfort Releases Statement About February Drug Test Results

Kyle Symes@ksymes88Correspondent IIIJune 6, 2014

DELRAY BEACH, FL - SEPTEMBER 17:  Vitor Belfort conducts a workout at the Jaco Hybrid Training Center on September 17, 2012 in Delray Beach, Florida. Belfort will fight Jon Jones on September 22, 2012 at UFC 152 in Toronto, Canada.  (Photo by Chris Trotman/Getty Images)
Chris Trotman/Getty Images

The wait is over. The much-discussed results of Vitor Belfort's February drug test by the Nevada State Athletic Commission are in.

And it's straight from the main source himself. Belfort released a statement on his Instagram account, providing the details about the test and the fallout from it.

The results of the February 7, 2014, test indicated that my testosterone level was above the therapeutic range. While levels slightly outside the normal therapeutic range are not uncommon for some undergoing a TRT regimen, and my doctors immediately modified my therapy to return me to within the therapeutic range (as you can see the 22nd February test results was normal), I do want to acknowledge that the February 7, 2014 test indicated my level was above the range.

Belfort would go on to say he's taken numerous tests since the initial one, and that he has been within the normal range for all of them. He also released the actual results from the tests in a link included with his post.

The Brazilian is synonymous with TRT and has had to deal with claims of cheating from both fans and fighters alike. However, through it all, Dana White never wavered in his support that Belfort was never in the wrong while fighting.

This echoes what Joe Rogan recently said in that the NSAC got rid of TRT exemptions because of the results from Belfort's random test.

While Belfort has finally said what all of us were already assuming and can move on from the February test, he's not entirely out of the woods just yet. As Shaun Al-Shatti of MMA Fighting notes, Belfort will have to undergo a "comprehensive review" on Jun. 17 to ensure he will be able to face Chael Sonnen at UFC 175.

DELRAY BEACH, FL - SEPTEMBER 17:  Vitor Belfort gives a phone interview following a workout at the Jaco Hybrid Training Center on September 17, 2012 in Delray Beach, Florida. Belfort will fight Jon Jones on September 22, 2012 at UFC 152 in Toronto, Canada
Chris Trotman/Getty Images

It marks the second failed test Belfort has had in Nevada, which doesn't bode well for his prospects of competing there. The Brazilian had previously failed a test for elevated testosterone following his Pride 32 loss to Dan Henderson.

Belfort is attempting to step in to face Sonnen after Wanderlei Silva was removed from the contest. It's widely believed that Belfort will receive the next title shot if he can defeat Sonnen at UFC 175.

Update: (h/t Bloody Elbow) Jordan Breen presents a breakdown of Belfort's testosterone ranges.