Barcelona Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of June 9
Barcelona begin World Cup week looking to close out a couple of transfer deals before the big kickoff gets underway.
Whilst the purchase of a central defender still eludes them at the time of writing, no one can accuse the Catalans of being stagnant in their dealings already this summer.
For once it appears that Barca have the bit between their teeth, and they are keen to avoid a repeat of what became a disastrous last season.
Let's see who is being linked in and out of the club this week and remember to keep checking back for updates.
—Last updated: Friday June 13—
If reports are to be believed, then Xavi Hernandez leaving Barcelona.
According to Luis F. Rojo of Marca, football agent Bayram Tutumlu who was in the region on business, has claimed that Xavi will play in Qatar next season:
They [contacts] assured me that he [Xavi] has received an offer to play for three seasons earning a net figure of €8.3 million for each one. I was even told that a contract had been signed, although I didn't actually see it.The deal has been done by Pini Zahavi and a company called Sport One Middle East, which boasts Abdallah Lemsagam as one of its agents. Although Joan Laporta and Alejandro Echevarría are also involved.
According to FCBarcelona.com, both clubs have reached agreement to sign the player. The Catalans noted:
FC Barcelona wishes to publicly thank Cesc Fàbregas for his professionalism and dedication during his years at the Club, which will always be his home, and to wish him all the very best for the future.
A move for Alexis Sanchez by Manchester United draws ever closer.
According to Jamie Jackson of The Guardian, whilst negotiations are not yet advanced for the player, Louis van Gaal is a confirmed admirer.
The profile of a young, hungry and decisive winger is exactly what the Dutchman is looking for from his players and at only 25 years of age, a £20 million purchase makes sense with the players best years still ahead of him.
According to Mundo Deportivo via Charles Perrin of the Daily Express, the Red Devils had earmarked Alba as a potential replacement for Patrice Evra after being rebuffed by Southampton in their bid to sign England starlet Luke Shaw.
It now appears the Shaw deal will happen after agreement of personal terms but Barca have made it clear to United and any other suitors that Alba is not for sale at any price.
Former Sevilla captain Ivan Rakitic has revealed his delight at signing for the Catalans. The formalities of the deal won't take place until after the World Cup, but Sport via Football365 noted the Croatian as saying:
"I am very happy. It is a dream come true."
Luis Enrique has told the player that he is surplus to requirements and whilst Everton would prefer a loan deal initially, Lucho is keen to cut all ties with the player.
Following concern's over his knee injury, AS Monaco have pulled out of the deal to sign Victor Valdes.
Per Mundo Deportivo via John Drayton of the Daily Mail, it's been reported that Valdes' knee injury is more serious that first thought and the French club don't want to take the risk.
There are sure to be a number of other suitors willing to sign the Catalans former number one, but he will not be staying at Barcelona in any event.
Dortmund's sporting director Michael Zorc told Bild: "I can definitely rule out a transfer this summer."
The player, recently ruled out of the World Cup, had been strongly linked with Manchester United previously, but it now seems almost certain that Reus will stay in Germany for another season at least.
The Londoners continue to haggle over a price and the delay could let in Louis van Gaal at the 11th hour.
Despite being sidelined for the entirety of the World Cup, Marco Reus still has cause to celebrate after agreeing personal terms with Barcelona.
The German will be their star signing of the summer, assuming Andoni Zubizaretta et al can get over the line with regards to their negotiations with Borussia Dortmund.
Barcelona fans can expect some good news, perhaps as early as the end of Monday.
There is a suggestion a Barca player will head to the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan as part of the deal, with Denis Suarez, Ibrahim Afellay and Cristian Tello the names mentioned.
According to newspaper Milliyet (Turkish) via Patrick Surlis of Give Me Sport, Turan's agent Ahmet Bulut is quoted as saying that the Catalans are in talks with the player and will meet his €41 million buyout.
That news will disappoint Manchester United who are thought to have been chasing the player for some time.
Jonathan Dos Santos
Despite only playing five matches in the last five years, Jonathan dos Santos is still digging his heels in and refusing to leave Barcelona.
The Mexican's reluctance to join La Real has delayed the transfer of the goalkeeper, and one would have to question the motives of a player who clearly has little to no chance of a career at Barca.
Barca fans can rest easy.
Per Vaishali Bhardwaj of Goal, Qatari side Al-Sadd have denied claims that they have offered Xavi Hernandez a lucrative playing deal from next season.
Catalunya Radio had previously announced that a deal was in the pipeline but, according to Bhardwaj's report, the club's official website have been forced to deny this:
The official website of Al Sadd denies all news transmitted through the media about the club's offer for Barcelona player Xavi Hernandez, and that everything that was said is incorrect and unrealistic.
Despite Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu indicating that Alexis Sanchez is not for sale, per Sky Sports, Charles Perrin of the Daily Express notes that Manchester United are about to open talks for the player.
Juventus were initially thought to be a preferred destination but their inability to even meet Barca's valuation has seen them out of the running.
With United prepared to go to the £20 million asking price, even though there is no prospect of European football on offer, the Red Devils are in pole position after Luis Enrique made it clear that the player is surplus to requirements.
A deal for Paris Saint-Germain's Marquinhos could be completed before the end of the week.
Per Alec Fenn of Goal, Barca are in final negotiations for the Brazilian in a deal which would see his countryman Dani Alves move in the opposite direction.
The figure being quoted is €35 million for a player who only joined the French Ligue 1 champions 11 months ago but didn't really make an impression there.
Barca's overhaul of their squad shows no signs of slowing down as they seek to add Bayern Munich's Thomas Mueller to their ranks.
According to German daily Bild via Mundo Deportivo and reported by Football Espana, the Catalans will open talks during the summer with a fee of €45 million mooted.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!