Welcome to Bleacher Report's recap of WWE Main Event. Here is where we take a look at what happened on the show, examining the winners, reactions to matches and any possible ramifications coming out of the program.
This week's show broke from the usual three or four matches and opted to go with a less-is-more approach by having two matches that went a little longer than usual.
Bad News Barrett defended his WWE Intercontinental Championship against Rob Van Dam in a rematch from Payback, and Goldust teamed with Kofi Kingston to face Luke Harper and Erick Rowan.
Giving both matches a lot of time was a smart move, as we had two good bouts on a show that sometimes doesn't have a single good match.
Let's take a look at what went down on Main Event this week.
Goldust and Kofi Kingston vs. Luke Harper and Erick Rowan
This was a very good match, which came as somewhat of a surprise. I fully expected Harper and Rowan to defeat Kofi very quickly, but he and Goldust lasted a long time against The Wyatt Family.
WWE giving these four men enough time led to Kofi delivering the surprise performance of the night. He hit several exciting moves and actually made a pretty good partner for Goldust.
However, it was still Kofi who ended up being pinned at the end of the night. This is just another chapter in the story of Cody Rhodes looking for a partner for Goldust.
Winners: Luke Harper and Erick Rowan
Notes and Highlights:
- I really hope Booker T does one appearance as Goldust's partner on an upcoming show. A BookDust reunion would be awesome.
- I like how Harper and Rowan just appear in the ring instead of doing the full entrance.
- It would make more sense for Cody to be at ringside for these matches.
Bad News Barrett vs. RVD (IC Title Match)
Barrett delivered a promo at the top of the show that saw him make fun of RVD and call him a zombie. RVD popped out of the crowd and attacked Barrett to send him running.
The match itself was pretty good, but it didn't really live up to the match they had at Payback, and the way it ended was a little strange.
Cesaro came out and caused a premature ending when he delivered Neutralizers to both Barrett and RVD, but the main focus of his attack appeared to be Barrett. Barrett called Cesaro a coward in his promo for abandoning him on Monday, so this was probably retaliation.
However, both men are heels at the moment. A feud between the two may see a babyface turn for one of them, or we could see Cesaro feud with both Barrett and RVD. Seeing where this goes will be interesting.
Winner: No Contest
Notes and Highlights:
- It was a little surprising to hear Barrett bad-mouth WWE management in his promo. That is typically reserved for the babyfaces these days.
- I would be disappointed if Cesaro feuding with Barrett puts him in an IC title match and not the Money in the Bank match.
- Barrett's promo went too long. He did not have enough material to work with. The zombie stuff was just weird.
What did you think of this week's Main Event?
Thanks for reading, and follow me on Twitter: @BR_Doctor.