Updates from Tuesday, June 3
According to a source, Marino, 52, and his lawyers will be in discussions to withdraw from the lawsuit that was filed in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia.
“It was never Marino’s intention to initiate litigation in this case, but to ensure that in the event he had adverse health consequences down the road, he would be covered with health benefits. They are working to correct the error,” a source said to the Sun-Sentinel.
Ed Werder of ESPN provided more background on Marino's decision to withdraw the lawsuit:
People close to Dan Marino were concerned his conversations with CEO Tom Garfinkel about a position with Dolphins jeopardized by NFL lawsuit— Ed Werder (@Edwerderespn) June 3, 2014
Earlier in the day, ESPN's Andrew Brandt provided more details regarding Marino:
Am told that Marino has been client of firm filing concussion suit for months, one of twenty or so who had yet to file complaints.— Andrew Brandt (@adbrandt) June 3, 2014
Former Miami Dolphins quarterback Dan Marino, along with 14 other former players, filed a lawsuit against the NFL over concussions last week.
“On information and belief, the Plaintiff…sustained repetitive, traumatic sub-concussive and/or concussive head impacts during NFL games and/or practices,” read Marino's short-form complaint, via the Los Angeles Times' Nathan Fenno.
The Hall of Fame quarterback is seeking compensation in the form of "medical monitoring and unspecified financial recovery," per Fenno. Of course, this development has implications far beyond that.
Bleacher Report's Ethan J. Skolnick put it simply:
Potential game-changer... Dan Marino suing NFL over concussions: http://t.co/d0KK2sfzOS— Ethan J. Skolnick (@EthanJSkolnick) June 2, 2014
The NFL is no stranger to being sued in connection with concussions. There is currently a much larger ongoing lawsuit, as over 4,500 former NFL players are suing the league, claiming that the dangers of concussions were covered up. The players had seemingly reached a $765 million settlement, but judge Anita Brody rejected that sum in January amid concerns that it wasn't sufficient.
Sol Weiss, a co-lead counsel for the plaintiffs in that case, is also serving as one of Marino's attorneys.
As studies reveal the effects of head injuries, the NFL is only going to continue to serve as a target—especially for former players who played before strict safety rules were put into place. It's becoming clear, however, that this massive aforementioned case may not be the end of it.
FootballGuys.com's Sigmund Bloom touched on that:
No matter how Marino's case plays out, this is a bad development for the NFL. The former Dolphin is one of the most respected players of his generation, and now that he has taken the league to court, we could see isolated cases such as this one pop up far more frequently.
Either way, the league already has its hands full as lawsuits continue to pile up.
Marino's case is sure to generate plenty of discussion and reaction considering his status and popularity throughout the league and among its fanbase, shining an even brighter spotlight on an already hot topic.