Froch vs. Groves 2 Results: Winner, Recap and Analysis

Patrick Clarke@@_Pat_ClarkeCorrespondent IMay 31, 2014

Getty Images

Carl Froch affirmed his status as Britain's boxing king and retained his WBA and IBF super middleweight titles on Saturday night in London, defeating George Groves via technical knockout in their highly-anticipated championship rematch. 

BBC Sport announced the final result, which came via a thunderous right hand from Froch: 

Despite having lost the first fight via a controversial ninth-round stoppage, Groves set the tone for Saturday's bout just days earlier when he warned Froch that his reign would be coming to an end, per The Guardian's Sean Ingle: 

"I don’t need to antagonize Carl. I want him to be at peace because it is dawning on him that his day of reckoning is fast approaching. He is going to have to face the inevitable. He is like a man on death row."

Ironically, it was Froch who had the last laugh. 

The two fighters were both tentative to start, with each trading jabs in the opening round, as pointed out by Evening Echo columnist Ger McCarthy:

Groves flashed the better quickness in Round 2, landing more accurate shots than Froch after being pushed to the ground earlier in the round. Groves threw 13 more punches than Froch through the opening two rounds.

With the crowd getting restless in the third round, Froch woke up the spectators with a strong right hand that led to a wild exchange that clearly affected both fighters.

LONDON, ENGLAND - MAY 31:  Carl Froch knocks out George Groves during the  IBF & WBA World Super Middleweight Title Fight at Wembley Stadium on May 31, 2014 in London, England.  (Photo by Matthew Lewis/Getty Images)
Matthew Lewis/Getty Images

Both Froch and Groves landed a fair share of shots in Round 4, but Groves was clearly the aggressor, applying consistent pressure on Froch. "The Cobra" flipped the switch in the fifth round, though, landing a powerful shot that shook up Groves. Looking for the knockout, Froch attacked, but Groves was able to defend.

Nonetheless, the fifth round belonged to the more aggressive Froch, as noted by boxing reporter Francisco A. Salazar:

Finally settling into the bout, Froch would continue to attack Groves' body midway through the fight, landing a slew of damaging shots.

Having seized control of the bout, a confident Froch let a vicious right hand fly in the eighth that sent Groves to the mat in a heap. The referee rushed over to the 26-year-old and quickly waved off the fight. 

LONDON, ENGLAND - MAY 31:  Carl Froch (L) of England floors George Groves of England to win their IBF and WBA World Super Middleweight title fight at Wembley Stadium on May 31, 2014 in London, England.  (Photo by Scott Heavey/Getty Images)
Scott Heavey/Getty Images

The victory not only bolsters Froch's impressive professional resume but ends any controversy following the result of their first fight back in November 2013.

Froch will now turn his attention to James DeGale, who defeated American Brandon Gonzales on Saturday to earn a title shot.

For Groves, it's back to the drawing board, as he failed to follow up on a strong performance in the first fight and a strong start through the first four rounds of Saturday's rematch. 


Follow Bleacher Report Featured Columnist Patrick Clarke on Twitter. 

Follow _Pat_Clarke on Twitter