Paper Gossip: Chelsea Eye Toni Kroos, Sergio Aguero to Real Madrid Latest

Ian RodgersWorld Football Staff WriterMay 29, 2014

Paper Gossip: Chelsea Eye Toni Kroos, Sergio Aguero to Real Madrid Latest

0 of 7

    Jon Super/Associated Press

    There is no shortage of transfer speculation in the newspapers on Thursday morning, with Toni Kroos and Sergio Aguero among those reportedly being monitored.

    According to reports, Bayern Munich midfielder Kroos is being monitored by Chelsea, while the links between Real Madrid and Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero are back on the agenda.

    The passing of former Manchester United owner Malcolm Glazer is also marked in the newspaper back pages.

    But who else is making the headlines on Thursday? Read on to find out more.

Chelsea Enter Chase for Toni Kroos as Blues Prepare Filipe Luis Bid

1 of 7

    Alex Livesey/Getty Images

    Chelsea are weighing up a move for Bayern Munich midfielder Toni Kroos, reports John Edwards of the Daily Mail.

    The Germany international had been linked with Manchester United this summer, notes the article, but Kroos' refusal to extend his deal with the Bundesliga champions has alerted Jose Mourinho.

    Meanwhile, Chelsea have stepped up their interest in Atletico Madrid left-back Filipe Luis, reports the Daily Express.

    John Cross of the Daily Mirror says that Paris Saint-Germain are refusing to give up the chase for Eden Hazard.

Real Madrid Maintain Interest in Manchester City Striker Sergio Aguero

2 of 7

    Shaun Botterill/Getty Images

    Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero is on Real Madrid's wish-list but not just yet, reports David Anderson of the Daily Mirror.

    Bernabeu president Florentino Perez has confirmed the Champions League winners' interest in the Argentina international, but the club are in no rush to complete a deal, claims the article.

    Perez is quoted as saying:

    We are not thinking about making a move for Agueroat the moment.

    Right now, there is no real urgency to sign new players.

    Jeremy Cross of the Daily Star claims that City are bracing themselves for a £60 million offer for the Etihad Stadium star.

Manchester United Mourn Passing of Former Owner Malcolm Glazer

3 of 7

    J. SCOTT APPLEWHITE/Associated Press

    The death of former Manchester United owner Malcolm Glazer was marked by the newspapers on Thursday morning, including Mark Ogden of the Daily Telegraph.

    Glazer, who also owned the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the NFL, passed away on Wednesday following health problems in recent years.

    Ogden notes that the death of Glazer will have no effect on the running of the Old Trafford club, with sons Joel and Avram Glazer working as co-chairmen since the family took over the club in 2005.

    However, in the same newspaper, Jim White claims Glazer should never have been allowed to take over at United.

Arsenal Back in for Alvaro Morata as Samuel Eto'o Targets Gunners Deal

4 of 7

    Andres Kudacki/Associated Press

    An Arsenal delegation has travelled to Spain for talks over a possible deal for Real Madrid striker Alvaro Morata, reports Sami Mokbel of the Daily Mail.

    The article claims that the Gunners are looking to steal a march on Juventus, who have also been linked with the 21-year-old.

    Meanwhile, former Chelsea striker Samuel Eto'o is seeking a move to Arsenal to prove Jose Mourinho wrong, claims John Cross of the Daily Mirror.

    Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere has thanked manager Arsene Wenger for maintaining his World Cup hopes by not rushing him back from injury, reports Martin Lipton of the Daily Mirror.

    Wilshere is quoted as saying:

    I did speak to Arsene because I came back training and I was panicking a bit about the squad.

    I wanted to be in it. I went to him and said I thought I was ready.

    But he said 'No you are not; you need to train if you are to have a good World Cup, you need a good fitness base and you will be right in every aspect.'

    And that is what I am now. I knew that I would be fit it was just down to whether the manager thought I was ready and whether I felt ready myself as well.

    Unfortunately I have been in that position a lot, wondering how long it takes to come back and get back to the same level but I knew a bone would take six weeks.

Manchester United Reject Miranda Reports as Carlo Ancelotti Interest Revealed

5 of 7

    Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno/Getty Images

    Manchester United have rejected reports that they have triggered a buy-out clause for Atletico Madrid defender Miranda, reports Ian Ladyman of the Daily Mail.

    The Brazil international was reportedly a target for incoming Old Trafford manager Louis van Gaal.

    However, Ladyman claims that the club have played down claims in the Spanish media that United are on the verge of talks with the 29-year-old.

    Meanwhile, Real Madrid president Florentino Perez claims that Sir Alex Ferguson approached Carlo Ancelotti over the possibility of succeeding him at United last year, reports The Sun (subscription required).

Queens Park Rangers Target Andros Townsend and Michael Dawson Swoops

6 of 7

    Armando Franca/Associated Press

    Queens Park Rangers manager Harry Redknapp is eyeing a double swoop on his former club Tottenham for Andros Townsend and Michael Dawson, reports Tony Banks of the Daily Express.

    The Loftus Road club have returned to the Premier League at the first attempt following their play-off final win over Derby County last weekend.

    Redknapp is keen to strengthen his squad with the additions of winger Townsend and defender Dawson, according to Banks.

Mauricio Pochettino Will Not Be Sacked If Spurs Miss Champions League

7 of 7

    Sang Tan/Associated Press

    Tottenham Hotspur have assured new head coach Mauricio Pochettino that he will not be sacked if the team fails to qualify for the Champions League next season, reports Paul Jiggins of The Sun (subscription required).

    The former Argentina international was confirmed as Spurs boss earlier this week after leaving Southampton.

    But Spurs insist his future will not be decided by missing out on the Premier League top four, and Pochettino will be given time at the club, claims Jiggins.

    Meanwhile, Southampton midfielder Victor Wanyama has bemoaned the loss of Pochettino at the club, reports Joe Batchelor of the Daily Star.

    Wanyama is quoted as saying:

    I wanted him [Pochettino] to remain because he had the passion for the club and I think the owners should not have let him go because the team can do better next season.

    It is a big blow because he had good connection with the players. He played a big role in my career development.

    I learnt a lot from him, he taught me more and that's why I have grown as a player and there is a big difference compared to when I was at Celtic.

    Mark Ogden of the Daily Telegraph claims that former Manchester United manager David Moyes should be the only candidate to replace Pochettino at Southampton.