State of Origin 2014: Game 1 Score and Recap for Maroons vs. Blues

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
State of Origin 2014: Game 1 Score and Recap for Maroons vs. Blues
Chris Hyde/Getty Images

New South Wales overcame Queensland 12-8 in Game 1 of the State of Origin on Wednesday in a desperately close encounter at the Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.

It marks the first time the Blues have won at the stadium since Game 1 of the 2003 series.

Despite going down early in the match, New South Wales managed to wrestle the lead back by half-time and then clung on to record a stunning victory to take the early initiative in the series.

Queensland got off to a flying start as they ran in their first try after just five minutes when Darius Boyd scored in the corner following a cross-field move from the Maroons.

However, the Blues tied things up halfway through the first period when Brett Morris ran in a score against the run of play after clever work from Jarryd Hayne had released the other Morris brother, Josh.

New South Wales took a 6-4 lead with a Trent Hodkinson penalty six minutes later and then made it 10-4 after 34 minutes through Hayne's try. 

The decision for the try had gone upstairs after Hayne had scored after rolling out of a Johnathan Thurston tackle to reach the line, but the score stood.

Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

Thus the challengers went into half-time with a six-point advantage as they looked to make a winning start to the three-match series, which hasn't been won by New South Wales since 2005.

Another Hodkinson penalty conceded by Corey Parker put the Blues more than a score out of reach with a penalty early in the second half, but that would be their final points of the game.

The Maroons piled on the pressure and cut the deficit to four with Boyd's second try in the 56th minute.

Matt Roberts/Getty Images

Boyd squeezed over in the left corner after the ball went through the Queensland hands to set up a nerve-shredding finish.

It was all Queensland as New South Wales defended desperately to maintain their lead. Boyd so nearly bagged his hat-trick with five minutes to go but he was brilliantly smothered by Morris. 

However, the Blues were able to soak up set after set of Maroons attacks and when the whistle finally blew the celebrations were delirious after an historic win.

New South Wales coach Laurie Daley had reported high morale before the game and that will have been increased a hundred fold after this win, per Michael Carayannis in the Sydney Morning Herald:

The nerves are very good and I feel very confident. The boys have trained really well.

No complaints from our end. We've had a really good build-up. We can move forward and we know it's a big task and a big job in front us, but we'll go out there and do our best.

In three weeks' time, the rivalry will be renewed in Sydney when New South Wales will hope to seal a series victory with a win. 

Follow B/R on Facebook