Newcastle United Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of May 19

Dan SheridanContributor IMay 19, 2014

Newcastle United Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of May 19

0 of 11

    Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew
    Newcastle United boss Alan PardewAlastair Grant/Associated Press

    After receiving assurances about his future at a fans’ forum meeting last week, Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew is looking to bring in a host of new faces to bolster his squad. 

    The Magpies confirmed that the 52-year-old would remain in the St James’ Park hot seat despite supporter unrest and insisted that transfer funds are available this summer, as reported by The Guardian.

    Several players have been linked with the Geordies, and the comings and goings have already started following Sky Sports’ confirmation that Dan Gosling is joining Bournemouth.

    So as the rumour mill gathers pace, Bleacher Reports takes a look at the latest names in the frame as well as those who could be on their way out over the coming weeks.

     

    Last updated: Thursday May. 22, 3:00 p.m. GMT

Stefan Radu

1 of 11

    Giuseppe Bellini/Getty Images

    Sources in Italy have suggested Newcastle United are set to bid for Lazio defender Stefan Radu.

    The Romanian, who can play at centre-half as well left-back, has been with the Serie A outfit since 2008 and become a huge favourite at the Stadio Olimpico.

    According to Sky Italia, via the Evening Chronicle’s Mark Douglas, the Magpies are readying an £8 million offer for the 27-year-old, who is also being monitored by Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United.

    Fiorentina are also named as an interested party, with Lazio ready to sell one of their prize assets before his contract runs down.

Bafetimbi Gomis

2 of 11

    Mike Hewitt/Getty Images

    Newcastle United will have to stump up wages of £100,000 per week for their lengthy pursuit of Bafetimbi Gomis to finally come to fruition.

    Mirror Football’s Darren Lewis has suggested the Lyon striker has an offer on the table from the Magpies, but it falls well short of his demands.

    The 28-year-old, who will be a free agent next month, was heavily linked with a move to Tyneside last summer and again in January.

    And if he fails to agree terms with the Toon, a number of Premier League clubs are ready to make a move, including Swansea City, West Ham United and Sunderland.

Moussa Sissoko

3 of 11

    Ian Horrocks/Getty Images

    Doubts continue to surround the future of French international Moussa Sissoko, who has played down reports he is unsettled at Newcastle United.

    The 24-year-old has pledged his future to the club ahead of the World Cup, and told the Sunderland Echo he is "happy" at the club and ready to play his part next season.

    However, the former Toulouse star, who will represent his country in next month’s showcase in Brazil, has been linked with a move to Monaco despite having over five years remaining on his current Toon deal.

    In a report by the Daily Express’ Niall Hickman, the player’s agent, Federic Guerra, said: “We're only a year-and-a-half into his Newcastle contract, but open to all propositions for Moussa.”

Jack Rodwell

4 of 11

    Warren Little/Getty Images

    After just a handful of Premier League starts in two seasons, Manchester City midfielder Jack Rodwell is set to leave the newly-crowned champions—and Newcastle United are ready to pounce. 

    The 23-year-old arrived at City in a £12 million deal two years ago, but has failed to make any kind of impression since his big-money switch from Everton.

    In a bid to secure first-team football, the England international is now ready to quit the Etihad Stadium, and according to Mirror Football’s James Nursey, the Magpies are in the hunt.

    A sentimental return to Goodison Park for the Merseysider is also being talked about after Roberto Martinez failed to land the former Toffees schoolboy on loan in January.

Ayoze Perez

5 of 11

    Reports in the North-East press suggest Tenerife striker Ayoze Perez could be set for a switch to Newcastle United in the near future.

    The Evening Chronicle’s Mark Douglas claims Swansea City, Everton and Portuguese giants Porto are also in the chase for the 20-year-old, who has netted 16 goals in 33 games this season.

    Perez reportedly left Tenerife ahead of the end of the current campaign in order to negotiate his exit, but suggestions that he has already visited Tyneside are believed to be false.

    His goalscoring tally for the Canary Islanders is the highest from any Tenerife player in over 25 years.

Jack Colback

6 of 11

    Matthew Lewis/Getty Images

    The future of Sunderland’s Jack Colback is set to be decided over the next few days, with a four-year contract offer from Newcastle United believed to be on the table.

    The Geordie midfielder is out of contract at the Stadium of Light, and is keen to resolve his situation sooner rather than later following last-ditch talks with the Black Cats.

    Scottish champions Celtic are also believed to be monitoring the 24-year-old’s situation, and according to The Evening Chronicle’s Mark Douglas, a decision is expected this week.

Remy Cabella

7 of 11

    Valerio Pennicino/Getty Images

    Monday morning brought fresh reports that Montpellier playmaker Remy Cabella could finally be on his way to Newcastle United after months of speculation.

    The 24-year-old was linked with the Toon in January in the wake of Yohan Cabaye’s departure, but the move appeared to be off, according to the Mirror's Liam Prenderville.

    The player himself, however, has been waxing lyrical about the Magpies in his native France and opened the door to a potential switch to St James’ Park.

    Speaking to Telefoot, via the Evening Chronicle’s Neil Cameron, Cabella said, “I have an agreement with the club (Montpellier), that I can leave if a good offer presents itself. I will think with an open mind before making my decision. Newcastle is a good English club. I will see what my coach and club tells me.”

Pierre-Michel Lasogga

8 of 11

    Alex Grimm/Getty Images

    It’s no secret that Newcastle United are in the market for at least two new strikers, and German U-21 star Pierre-Michel Lasogga could be the first to arrive following a successful season-long loan at Hamburg from parent club Hertha VSC.

    Alan Pardew is ready to move for the 22-year-old, with a £10 million fee in the offing.

    In a report by John Richardson of the Daily Express, Everton are also named as an interested party. They could rival the Magpies for his signature as they look to replace Romelu Lukaku.

Darren Bent

9 of 11

    Kirsty Wigglesworth/Associated Press

    Despite reports linking Aston Villa striker Darren Bent with a move to Newcastle United, sources suggest the Magpies have no interest in the striker.

    Metro’s Simon Osborn indicated over the weekend that Alan Pardew was set to move for the 30-year-old, who is back at Villa Park following a disappointing loan spell with relegated Fulham.

    However, The Journal’s Mark Douglas has played down the potential transfer, insisting the Toon have not moved in for the former England forward.

    The same story also pours cold water on rumours linking West Bromwich Albion’s Saido Berahino with a switch to St James’ Park.

Shola Ameobi

10 of 11

    Getty Images/Getty Images

    After almost two decades at Newcastle United, striker Shola Ameobi finally looks set to cut ties with the Magpies, with Hull City his likely destination.

    The Nigerian international is out of contract this summer, and Tigers boss Steve Bruce is keen to add experience to his squad ahead of their European campaign next season.

    City were assured of a place in the Europa League thanks to their appearance in Saturday’s FA Cup final.

    And according to Neil Cameron of the Evening Chronicle, the 32-year-old has kicked his last ball in a black and white shirt after failing to earn a new contract offer.

Dimitri Payet

11 of 11

    Dean Mouhtaropoulos/Getty Images

    Financial strife at Marseille could see Newcastle United land a long-term target on the cheap this summer.

    Winger Dimitri Payet is set to be moved on by the Ligue 1 outfit in a bid to raise funds and could be available for as little as £5 million as new coach Marcelo Bielsa clears the decks.

    The Magpies were aware of the player a year ago but chose not to match the £12 million that saw the 27-year-old move to l'OM from Lille.

    But in a report by the Evening Chronicle’s Neil Cameron, his cut-price availability could tempt Toon boss Alan Pardew to renew his interest in the French international.