Paper News and Gossip: Moyes Blasts Man Utd Board, Mourinho Backed by Abramovich
The sacking of David Moyes by Manchester United continues to hog the headlines on Thursday.
News leaked of the manager's exit on Monday before the axe fell on Tuesday morning, but further reports on the situation are fuelling the fire at Old Trafford.
According to the papers, Moyes blasted the United board when his position was terminated, and the League Managers' Association has thrown its weight behind the Scot after declaring United "unprofessional" in their conduct.
Elsewhere in Thursday's back pages, Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has received the approval of club owner Roman Abramovich to field a second-string team at Liverpool on Sunday.
But who else is making the headlines on Thursday? Read on to find out more.
David Moyes Slams Man Utd Board, as Ryan Giggs Summons Spirit of 1992
Former Manchester United manager David Moyes tore into the Old Trafford hierarchy as he said farewell to the players, claims Neil Custis of The Sun (subscription required).
The former Everton boss slammed the club after news of his sacking leaked out through national newspapers on Monday before he found out himself.
Custis cites a United source as saying:
He certainly did not hold back when he began talking about the way he was fired and how he found out.
He does not realise nobody at the club wanted the information out before he had been told and the board were surprised when the news broke on Monday.
The decision had been made, but they wanted to do things the right way.
Custis also reports a number of outbursts made by Moyes during his tenure, notably a claim that United players were trying to get him the sack after the Champions League defeat at Olympiakos.
The League Managers' Association branded United "unprofessional" in their conduct over the sacking of Moyes, reports Jeremy Cross of the Daily Star, but the article also notes that United denied the accusations.
United owners, the Glazer family, will fly into Manchester this week to arrange plans for a new manager, reports David McDonnell of the Daily Mirror.
Meanwhile, interim manager Ryan Giggs used his first team talk to declare to the players that it is time to play like United again, reports Mark Ogden of the Daily Telegraph.
Louis van Gaal will consider appointing Roy Keane as his assistant manager if he takes over at Old Trafford, reports Ian Ladyman of the Daily Mail.
Manchester United Star Adnan Januzaj 'Pledges International Future to Belgium'
Manchester United starlet Adnan Januzaj has pledged his international future to Belgium, claims their national head coach Marc Wilmots, as Martin Lipton of the Daily Mirror reports.
The 19-year-old, who was born in Brussels to Kosovan-Albanian parents, had been courted by the Football Association with a view to playing for England, claims the article.
But Wilmots used his Twitter feed @WilmotsMarc to reveal Januzaj will play for Belgium.
Wilmots is quoted as saying:
I have received official confirmation that Adnan Januzaj wishes to play for the Belgian national team for the rest of his career!
This is good news and I am delighted that such a talented player is available for selection for the Red Devils.
Meanwhile, United are still chasing Paris Saint-Germain striker Edinson Cavani after the sacking of David Moyes, reports Daniel Taylor of The Guardian.
Everton have been linked with moves for United striker Danny Welbeck and midfielder Tom Cleverley, reports Graeme Yorke of the Daily Mail.
Roman Abramovich Backs Jose Mourinho over Second-String Team for Liverpool
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has received the backing of owner Roman Abramovich over fielding a potentially weakened team at Liverpool on Sunday, report Ben Rumsby and Matt Law of the Daily Telegraph.
The Stamford Bridge boss has admitted he could be forced into playing a second-string XI in the crucial Premier League match this weekend with his eye on the Champions League semi-final second leg against Atletico Madrid on Wednesday.
Mourinho claimed he would have to speak to the club over the issue, and the Telegraph reports that he will receive support from Abramovich.
Meanwhile, Martin Lipton of the Daily Mirror reports that Mourinho, assistant coach Rui Faria and midfielder Ramires have all been charged by the Football Association over incidents during and after the defeat to Sunderland on Saturday.
Daniel Sturridge Declares Himself Fit for Liverpool vs. Chelsea
Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge has declared himself fit for the crucial Premier League visit of Chelsea on Sunday, reports David Maddock of the Daily Mirror.
The England international missed the 3-2 win at Norwich City on Sunday with a hamstring injury.
But Sturridge is quoted as saying at a question-and-answer session with children: "Hopefully this weekend I'll be back."
Meanwhile, Liverpool have again been linked with Dnipro winger Yevhen Konoplyanka, reports James Dickenson of the Daily Express.
Arsenal Manager Arsene Wenger Will Sign New Deal and Earn Transfer Windfall
The article claims the Gunners boss is planning a "huge summer spending spree" once he has signed his new deal at the Emirates Stadium.
Sami Mokbel of the Daily Mail claims Wenger is eyeing a move for Southampton defender Calum Chambers as part of his recruitment drive.
Cristiano Ronaldo Ready for Real Madrid 'Trophy Push' After Recovering from Injury
Cristiano Ronaldo is gearing up for Real Madrid's silverware hunt after recovering from injury, claims Mike Dawes of the Daily Mail.
The Portugal international returned to the side for the Champions League semi-final first-leg win over Bayern Munich on Wednesday after a leg injury.
Real are chasing both the Champions League and La Liga this season after winning the Copa del Rey last week, and they will take a 1-0 lead to the Allianz Arena on Tuesday for the second leg.
Ronaldo is quoted as saying:
I felt great and I'll be ready for the next games.
I didn't force anything to play, I felt good, so I played. Cristiano's back to help the team win.
We have a nice advantage and if we score, we can complicate things for them [Bayern].
Hugo Lloris Slams Tottenham Hotspur for Lack of Character
Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper Hugo Lloris believes a lack of character has cost his team this season, reports Darren Lewis of the Daily Mirror.
Spurs have fallen off the Premier League top four in recent weeks after a series of disappointing results.
Lloris is quoted as saying:
We have had a lot of bad defeats.
This season there has sometimes been the feeling that we have given up. We can’t allow this kind of behaviour.
We have to show more character. We did it in other games. But we have to keep our mentality in every game at the best level because in this league you have to be 100 per cent every time you play.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!