Before the official news came through of David Moyes' sacking by Manchester United, Mark Ogden of the Daily Telegraph claimed that the tone for his reign was set during a pre-season trip to Bondi Beach in Australia.
Ian Herbert of The Independent reported that the decision to sack Moyes was taken as long ago as February when United were beaten by Olympiakos in the Champions League last-16 first leg.
Dave Kidd of the Daily Mirror said the Old Trafford players knew Moyes was on his way out before the 2-0 defeat at Everton on Sunday.
Moyes missed every realistic target during his reign, said Daniel Taylor of The Guardian, but he never lost the dressing room, he simply never had it from the start.
But Moyes received support from United legend Gary Neville for the manner in which the news had leaked on social media on Monday, reports Sam Cunningham of the Daily Mail.
Neville is quoted as saying:
I find it repulsive how rumours break.
I don’t like it, I’ll never get used to it, but it needs to be clarified quickly. They need to break rank and make a statement.
The weight and explosion of the information coming out concerns me.
That club, for 20-odd years, contained and managed information.
It was completely off the scale like nothing else that’s happened at the club in 20 years.
Moyes also received support from Simon Jones in the Daily Mail, who claimed he was given a "dead man's hand" when he succeeded Sir Alex Ferguson last year.