Victor Hampton Cleared in Nightclub Incident Involving Kelcy Quarles

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Victor Hampton Cleared in Nightclub Incident Involving Kelcy Quarles
Getty Images

Updates from Thursday, May 1

ESPN's Adam Schefter confirms the result of the investigation surrounding Victor Hampton and Kelcy Quarles:

Josh Kendall of GoGamecocks.com also provided a statement from an e-mail sent by Hampton's attorney, Lowell Bernstein:

Vic has been anxious to respond to the false allegations but was advised not to discuss the matter publicly, so he refrained. However, he cooperated with law enforcement and the investigators determined that he did nothing wrong. Frankly, he was a victim in this case. He is glad that the truth of the matter is now known.

Original Text

Former South Carolina football stars Victor Hampton and Kelcy Quarles were reportedly wanted by the New York Police Department for questioning in connection with a nightclub beating. 

According to NYPD Lieutenant John Grimpel, via Jeremy Turnage of WIS News 10, the victim, who has facial fractures and was reportedly struck with a hookah pipe, claimed he was attacked by Hampton and Quarles at Greenhouse nightclub in downtown New York on April 11. 

Josh Kendall of GoGamecocks.com provided a statement from Quarles discussing the allegations:

I’m (mad) about it because it’s going to hurt my draft status. I’m about to do everything I possibly can to get my name cleared because it’s not fair. I had nothing to do with this. ...

... I have not been questioned. What am I being questioned for? I am telling you they are looking for Chaz Sutton.

TMZ later provided images of the alleged victim's face, in addition to a synopsis of their source discussing the incident:

We obtained photos of the alleged victim, Michael Hauer, who cops say sustained "extensive facial injuries" that required him to undergo surgery. 

One source connected to the situation tells us ... Hauer is losing vision in his left eye as a result of the attack. He's undergone 2 surgeries so far, including a 4-hour facial reconstruction procedure. 

We're told he's also suffered permanent nerve damage on the left side of his face. 

For now, no charges have been filed, but detectives want to talk to everyone who was in the VIP room, where the alleged incident occurred. 

In a separate incident later that night, another former Gamecock player, Chaz Sutton, was stabbed in the shoulder as he was leaving the club. The wound was minor. 

Kendall provides a statement from Sutton discussing the night in question, “No, I actually hung out with my friends that night,” Sutton said. “I wasn’t even involved, or there, so I couldn’t really tell you. I don’t know what is going on.”

Both Hampton and Quarles, who were in New York for a magazine shoot with ESPN, have hopes of being selected in the upcoming NFL draft. 

Michael Conroy

Quarles, a 22-year-old defensive tackle, is 6'4", 297 pounds and drew particular interest from the Chicago Bears during March's draft combine, per NFL.com. CBS Sports ranks him as the No. 10 player at his position, projecting him to be drafted in the second or third round. 

Hampton, also 22, is rated by CBS Sports as the 16th-best cornerback and a potential second- or third-day selection. He has been attempting to shed a negative reputation as a player with a checkered past, which he recently discussed in an interview with WIS News, via WorldNow.com's Joe Gorchow.

"It's kind of rough because people put me on a reputation or labeled me at a young age before I really even knew exactly what was going on," he said. 

We won't know how this incident will truly affect the duo's draft stock until more details are discovered, but this certainly isn't going to put Hampton and Quarles in a positive light during the most important time of their lives. 

Load More Stories

Follow B/R on Facebook

NFL

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.