Tom Hornsey, P, Memphis (HT: 6'3 1/2", WT: 221 lbs)
- Booming leg strength and can be an asset for teams when pinned deep in own territory.
- Showed steady development in his consistency and fundamentals throughout his career.
- Consistently gets the ball off. Only two blocked punts in four years (297 punts).
- Impressive consistency when attempting to pin opponents deep in their own territory—just four touchbacks, with 29 punts landing inside the opposition's 20-yard line.
- Four-year starter at Memphis.
- Used as the holder for the field-goal unit.
- Still relatively new to football and did not play until college.
- Ball does not always come off his foot cleanly and he gets inconsistent hang time when attempting to punt for distance.
- Limited experience in poor weather conditions.
- Will be a 25-year-old rookie.
- Grew up in Australia.
- Played Australian rules football in high school.
- Spent a year at Prokick Australia after high school learning to transition to American football.
- Won 2013 Ray Guy Award as nation's top punter.
Hornsey is still developing his technique and accuracy, but has plenty of upside given his limited experience.
He may struggle at times early in his career, but if a team is willing to wait through the growing pains, he has the potential to develop into one of the better special teams weapons in the game at his position.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!