Manchester United's season was effectively finished this week when they crashed out of the Champions League thanks to a 4-2 aggregate loss to Bayern Munich.
Now sitting seventh in the Premier League and without much prospect of moving significantly either up or down the table, David Moyes will likely be turning his thoughts to the summer transfer window.
And rarely has a window been more key for a manager than this summer is for Moyes.
United have not been good this season in the main, and the former Everton boss will need to ring the changes to turn the Red Devils' fortune around for next season.
However, a blow has seemingly been dealt for long-term target Bayern's Toni Kroos, who has reportedly committed his future to the German champions:
As reported by Jamie Jackson in the Guardian, the 24-year-old's agent Volker Struth said earlier this week: "We are confronted with a variety of rumours for months but at the moment I believe that Toni plays in Bavaria until 2015 at least."
This is a big set back for United and Moyes, who had earmarked Kroos as a potential saviour for their central midfield problems.
The German is exactly the kind of player United need to control the ball, and his distribution is second to none as this stat, via WhoScored.com, indicates:
And reports suggest that Moyes may find the answer to his midfield woes elsewhere in Germany, namely at Borussia Dortmund in the shape of Marco Reus.
The 24-year-old German put on a quality display on Tuesday night in Dortmund's 2-0 win over Real Madrid in which he scored both goals, with Squawka suggesting he may have been wooing potential suitors with his performance:
And Ben Fairthorne, who has worked for the Sun and Mail newspapers as well as CNN, reports that United are in with a chance of getting Reus:
With Barcelona's transfer ban in effect, per BBC Sport, if Reus really does want to leave the club, then United look to be favourites to sign him.
"We absolutely do not see the need to sell players who have an existing contract," Watzke reportedly said.
As well as bringing players in this summer, Moyes will be looking to shift players out. The likes of Nani, Tom Cleverley and Rio Ferdinand have been rumoured to be leaving Old Trafford at the end of the summer, per Nick Miller of the Guardian.
However, while United supporters may not be to bothered to see those players go, fan-favourite Javier Hernandez may reportedly be on his way out as well.
The Mexican has scored four goals in the league in 20 appearances this season, per Squawka.com, but has mainly played from the bench.
Back in February, Mexico national team coach Miguel Herrera said, per Tom Marshall of Goal.com: "Chicharito is frustrated because the current coach doesn't give him many minutes, but he continues to be very committed."
Moyes has done little to allay that frustration in recent weeks, and now it seems Atletico Madrid may be interested in signing the 25-year-old striker:
It could prove costly for Moyes to let Hernandez go, as he has an innate ability to score goals and is a scourge of tired defences with his speed and agility.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!