Bobby's Kitten has been installed as the 3-1 favorite to win the Blue Grass Stakes, per Gary B. Graves of the Sacramento Bee.
If Bobby's Kitten comes through, he will earn 170 Derby points and all but lock up a spot in the 2014 Kentucky Derby. If you're wondering how Bobby's Kitten became the favorite, a look at the horse's recent history tells the story.
After a March win in Tampa Bay, and another in the Grade 3 Pilgrim in October at Belmont, he now has three wins and two third-place finishes in his last three starts.
Ryan Patterson of Graded Stakes wrote this about Bobby's Kitten:
"If Bobby’s Kitten were an engine, he would be a V8. His natural speed is brilliant and among the best of this three-year-old crop."
Translation: this horse is for real.
As good as Bobby's Kitten has looked, he'll be challenged by a large and talented field. In all, there are 14 horses set to compete.
Here's a look at the post positions, horses, jockeys and odds, per Claire Novak of BloodHorse.com.
The race can be seen at 4:30 p.m. ET on FOX Sports 1.
1. Asserting Bear (Emma-Jayne Wilson) - 15-1
2. Extrasexyhippzster (Julian Pimentel) - 15-1
3. Pablo Del Monte (Victor Espinoza) - 12-1
4. Harry’s Holiday (Rosie Napravnik) - 10-1
5. Bobby’s Kitten (Javier Castellano) - 3-1
6. Coltimus Prime (Alan Garcia) - 20-1
7. Casiguapo (Rajiv Maragh) - 30-1
8. Dance With Fate (Corey Nakatani) - 12-1
9. Big Bazinga (Brian Hernandez Jr.) - 20-1
10. So Lonesome (Joe Rocco Jr.) - 50-1
11. Coastline (Stewart Elliott) - 8-1
12. Vinceremos (Edgar Prado) - 8-1
13. Medal Count (Robby Albarado) - 9-2
14. Gala Award (John Velazquez) - 12-1
Other Horses to Watch
Trainer Dale L. Romans' colt will be one of Bobby's Kitten's biggest threats. Per The Sun Herald, Romans had tons of praise for his horse.
"He is versatile. He ran well on the Polytrack here in the fall (fifth in the Bourbon Stakes). This is a really good horse. He's been one of my favorites all along. He's a good horse, and he showed the performance we were expecting."
Most trainers will have positive things to say about their horse, but the 9/2 odds proves the oddsmakers also see something in Medal Count.
Could he be the one to upset Bobby's Kitten?
With top-two finishes in each of his last four races, Vinceremos could spoil both Bobby's Kitten and Medal Count's parties.
The one drawback is that this is Vinceremos' first G1 race. Horses like Bobby's Kitten have accumulated more experience against top competition.
Vinceremos has to really perform to prove he is good enough to compete against an elite field.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!