Juventus Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of April 7
AS Roma may have closed the gap to Juventus to five points, but La Madama remains all but certain of a third consecutive Serie A title. With his team still pushing hard for a place in the Europa League Final, which will be held in Turin, it has undoubtedly been a successful season for Antonio Conte’s men.
Yet, with such a commanding lead at the top of the table, attention has undoubtedly turned toward next season, with changes to the squad suggested in numerous quarters. Over the following pages, you’ll find all this week’s news and rumours surrounding player movement to and from the Bianconeri.
*UPDATED FRIDAY APRIL 11*
Antonio Candreva to Return?
Juventus have spoken with representatives of Antonio Candreva, looking to bring the Lazio midfielder back to Turin this summer. The 27-year-old represented the Bianconeri in the latter half of the 2009-10 season, but has vastly improved as a player in the intervening years.
Gianluca Di Marzio reported this week that the two-time champions have made an early approach for the Italian international, who is still co-owned by Udinese. Writing on his own website, the transfer expert suggested Candreva could be one of many players to move between the clubs at the end of the season.
No PSG Negotiation for Paul Pogba
The owner of Paris Saint-Germain has said his club has held no talks with Paul Pogba regarding a move. The French giants have been heavily linked with the Juventus midfielder, with numerous outlets reporting that they are willing to spend whatever it takes to force the 21-year-old away from Turin.
Now it seems a widely reported meeting between president Nasser Al-Khelaifi has met with his Italian counterpart Andrea Agnelli in a Paris hotel (via Goal.com) never actually happened according to the Qatari businessman. He told Mediaset this week (h/t FootballItalia)
Pogba? We have not spoken with him. Only at the end of the season will we evaluate everything.
Dortmund Scout Ciro Immobile
Borussia Dortmund have been following Ciro Immobile closely all season, with the player's agent reporting an approach from the Bundesliga side earlier this year as per ESPN. That interest continued this past weekend, with scouts from the German club attending Torino's meeting with Catania according to Gianluca Di Marzio.
The Italian transfer expert—writing on his own website—revealed the news, with the striker netting an 83rd minute strike to win the match for the Granata. That goal took him to 18 for the season and the player's future is of interest to both sides of the city, given that he is still co-owned by Juventus.
Andrea Pirlo Renewal Almost Finalised
Andrea Pirlo’s contract with Juventus expires in June, but the midfielder offered assurances this weekend that he is close to agreeing a renewal. His future has been discussed at length as this season has worn on, but in an interview with Radio Deejay (via Football-Italia), the midfielder revealed he is set to stay in Turin.
The renewal with Juventus is more or less done already, it's just an issue of getting together and finalising the details. This is the right place for me to continue. I think that I can play a few more years at this level. As long as I keep having fun and am in good shape, I will continue to play.
Arsenal to Reignite Interest in Mirko Vucinic
Having been reportedly close to signing Mirko Vucinic on loan in January, via Charles Reynolds of The Independent, Arsenal are reportedly set to make a fresh bid for the Juventus striker this summer. The Montenegro international has been a peripheral figure with the Turin giants this term, sidelined by a combination of injuries and the presence of the Carlos Tevez-Fernando Llorente partnership.
With just four league starts to his name, it is believed the 30-year-old striker will be available, and talkSPORT report that Arsene Wenger believes he could alleviate the burden placed on Olivier Giroud.
Torino Deny Alessio Cerci Deal Has Been Agreed
Torino FC have angrily denied comments by a FIFA agent that Alessio Cerci is set to join Juventus. The playmaker has been linked with a move across town after impressing this term, registering 12 goals and nine assists for the Granata.
An interview last week on an Italian website insisted the two clubs had agreed a deal for the 26-year-old, but Torino issued an official statement refuting that claim. It said, via Football-Italia:
We are commenting in light of a news story released on the site Ilsussidiario.net. It concerns an interview with the self-styled FIFA agent Gianfranco Cicchetti, who said that ‘Juventus had practically concluded the signing of Alessio Cerci from Torino for a fee of €20m.’
He also said that ‘they are ironing out contract details, with only a few problems left to be resolved, and that Juventus would also pay Torino €8m for their half of the player, with Giovinco also thrown into the deal.
Torino Football Club communicates that this story is completely false and unfounded. No dialogue on this subject has taken place between Torino and Juventus. This ‘news’ is merely the fruit of Mr Cicchetti’s fantasies.
Sebastian Giovinco and Gabriel Paletta Swap?
Defender Gabriel Paletta has been in superb form this term, playing a huge role in the impressive campaign enjoyed by Roberto Donadoni’s Parma. As such, the former Liverpool defender has been linked with a string of top clubs, with Juventus the latest to be linked with a move for the recently capped Italy international.
Monday’s edition of La Gazzetta dello Sport reports (via Football-Italia) that the Bianconeri have been impressed with the form of the 28-year-old and are willing to offer Sebastian Giovinco in part-exchange. With the striker having impressed for the Stadio Tardini outfit two years ago and Paletta well-suited to playing in a back three, there could well be substance to this story.