Report: Jordan Gross to Announce Retirement Wednesday

Jonathan StoutContributor IIFebruary 25, 2014

Dec 16, 2012; San Diego, CA, USA; Carolina Panthers tackle Jordan Gross (69) during the fourth quarter on the sidelines against the San Diego Chargers at Qualcomm Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports
Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports

Eleven-year offensive line veteran Jordan Gross will officially retire from the NFL Wednesday, according to the Charlotte Observer.

The No. 8 overall selection in the 2003 NFL Draft spent his entire career with the Carolina Panthers, reaching the Super Bowl in his rookie campaign and was named to the Pro Bowl three times.

Gross told senior writer Bryan Strickland of Panthers.com that the team is in position to be successful, even without him on the field.

"I didn't want to leave until I felt the team was back in a good position for sustained success," Gross said. "The team is there now. There is good, young leadership, there are talented players, and there are guys that really want to work hard and want to win."

His final play came last month in the Pro Bowl when his teammate, fullback Mike Tolbert, scored on a two-point conversion. The team was coached by Panthers head coach Ron Rivera.

The 33-year-old holds the franchise record for most starts with 167.

Gross plans on staying with the organization in some capacity, but is not interested in a coaching position, according to the Charlotte Observer.

This season, Gross ventured into the world of broadcasting by hosting an online weekly segment, This is Gross, which featured fans and teammates.

The team will hold a press conference Wednesday at Bank of America Stadium at 1 p.m.