Boseko Lokombo, OLB, Oregon (HT: 6’2”, WT: 225 lbs)
|6021||225||33 3/8"||9 7/8"|
|40-yd dash||10-yd split||Vert||Broad||3-Cone||Shuttle|
- Plays with light, sudden feet in space.
- Flows laterally with quickness and fluidity.
- Decisive linebacker with developed play-recognition skills.
- Very rangy in pass coverage; gets to spots in zones quickly.
- Fluid hips and light feet enable him to play man coverage.
- Shows adequate ball skills to make plays on throws in the air.
- Impactful blitzer from space with initial quickness to run up on pass-blockers.
- Has some natural elusiveness as a rusher; changes directions in an instant.
- Packs an inordinate amount of power in his punch; heavy hands can jolt blockers.
- Natural hands-user to take on and play off blocks.
- Extends hands to create space and shed blocks.
- Sinks hips and absorbs the blow to maintain balance when taking on blocks.
- Makes tackles at a high rate in pursuit and closes in the open field with tremendous long speed.
- Chases down run plays from the backside frequently.
- Moved out over slot receivers regularly; versatile in coverage.
- Significant playing experience; contributed all four years.
- Built like a defensive back, especially in the lower half.
- Gets overaggressive and runs himself out of plays on occasion.
- Not overly productive, especially when it comes to plays in the backfield.
- Plays with a very wide base in coverage; may struggle to backpedal or stay balanced.
- Wastes too many steps as a rusher; can be indecisive or try to avoid contact completely.
- Lacks bulk and functional strength for down-to-down play in the box.
- Very rarely used between the tackles at Oregon; used to playing in lots of space.
- Tries to feel his way or finesse around blocks in situations in which he needs to take them on.
- Gets taken for a ride by bigger backs; not an impactful tackler.
- Not a fundamentally sound tackler; tries to compensate for size limitations.
- Misses too many tackles by not breaking down.
- Played a role that masked a majority of his weakness in college; may have slowed development of finer traits.
NFL Comparison: KJ Wright, OLB, Seattle Seahawks
- A 3-star prospect as a recruit in class of 2009 and the 29th-ranked outside linebacker, according to Rivals.com, via Yahoo! Sports.
- Selected in the third round of the 2013 CFL draft by the BC Lions.
- Born in the Congo; grew up in British Columbia.
Boseko Lokombo is the next prospect in a line of Oregon outside linebackers to make the jump to Sunday football. Like the others, with the exception of Dion Jordan, Lokombo is more of a project than a defender who can slide into the lineup on day one.
The biggest concern is his weight. Something must be done to add bulk to his frame. He also needs to learn how to play a traditional linebacker role from off the ball, as he played a majority of snaps on the line of scrimmage in a wide alignment or over slot receivers for the Ducks. Lokombo displays some natural linebacker traits in terms of hand usage, instincts and lateral movement, but there’s still a long way to go.
Draft Projection: Late-round pick.