According to Yahoo! Sports' Marc J. Spears, the Kings recently put together a package for Rondo headlined by Isaiah Thomas, Ben McLemore and a draft pick. It's unclear what type of selection was offered, but the Celtics are reportedly asking for two first-rounders at the very least, according to Sam Smith of Bulls.com.
In Spears' most recently published power rankings piece, he reported the following:
26. Boston Celtics (19-35; last week's ranking: 26): Source said Sacramento offered Isaiah Thomas, Ben McLemore and a pick for Rajon Rondo. Rondo wasn’t interested in re-signing with Sacramento.
So, there you have it. Rondo-to-the-Kings is dead before it even had a chance.
Rondo's contract expires after the 2014-15 season, and any team that trades for him before then would likely need a commitment beyond his current deal.
A package highlighted by Thomas and McLemore, two of the league's most promising young guards, surely must have been hard for Boston to walk away from. The draft pick involved certainly didn't help ease the pain.
Thomas is enjoying a breakout season in his third year, averaging 20 points per game and six assists on 44 percent shooting. McLemore just turned 21 and was the seventh overall pick in last year's draft. He's averaged 7.6 points per game over 23 minutes on 37 percent shooting.
Reports have been swirling about Rondo's potential departure all season long, but Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix said on Feb. 12, "You’ve got to see what you get from him next year. He’s not going to get traded before this year’s trade deadline, he’s going to be with this team through the offseason.”
The eight-year veteran returned in January from a torn ACL, and since Feb. 2, has averaged 14.5 points, 9.3 assists and 6.3 boards on 66 percent shooting, including an uncharacteristic 50 percent from deep.