Barcelona Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of February 10
The January transfer window may have closed but that doesn't mean Barcelona's business will come to a shuddering halt.
Andoni Zubizarreta and others should be working overtime from this point to ensure the club is in pole position to secure the players they want come the summer.
Just as importantly, Barca will want to tie down their current stars to new deals, and we may see the first of these this week.
Let's take a look at what's been happening at Camp Nou over the last few days and keep checking back throughout the week for updates.
—Last updated: Friday February 14—
I see him at Barcelona. Fede is going to be the best central defender in Europe.
With his height and his way of playing he will be the best - nothing is missing for him to be a starter at Barcelona.
Barcelona have missed out on the signing of Nigerian wonderkid Musa Yahaya.
The 16 year old was a star at the recent U17 World Cup, and subject to a medical, Yahaya will sign on with Tottenham for five years.
Rafinha Alcantara has been a revelation whilst on loan at Celta Vigo but his time there will finish at the end of this season.
According to La Xarxa, h/t Sky Sports, the player's father Mazinho told reporters:
Rafinha is very happy at Celta and has been earning the manager's trust.
But Rafinha is working hard to play for Barcelona in the future.
He is a Barcelona player.
However, as John Cross of the Daily Mirror reports, their £22 million valuation of the player may be too low to tempt Jose Mourinho into doing business.
Tata Martino has drawn up a list of potential targets and Luiz is known to be on it. Whether the Catalans go the extra mile to get a defender they have been chasing since last summer remains to be seen.
Exciting wide man Gerard Deulofeu will not be returning to Barcelona at season's end, as originally planned.
According to reliable Spanish radio station Cadena Ser, h/t independent Everton site ToffeeWeb, Barca have given their approval for Deulofeu to remain with Roberto Martinez's side for the entirety of the 2014/15 season.
With the Catalans well equipped in the wide areas at first team level, it's a decision that makes sense for all parties.
Despite having a £125 million release clause in his contract, Pedro Rodriguez is once again being linked with a summer move to Manchester United.
Whether United would be willing to pay the release clause is debatable at this stage, however it's unlikely to deter them from casting the first stone in a bid to prise the player from the Catalans.
According to Sportske Novosti, h/t Marca, Barca will send a delegation out to Zagreb shortly to conclude a deal for a bargain €3.6 million.
The player is adept in the wide right or central attacking roles and will be a highly prized addition to the Barca squad.
In a later edition of Marca, Dinamo Zagreb admitted that Barca have already made an opening bid for the player which has been rejected. Executive Director Zdravko Mamic said:
The offer has not been accepted because neither Dinamo nor the Halilovic family are completely satisfied with the conditions.
However, the matter is not over and Barcelona still wants the transfer to go ahead.
Barca's need for a powerful central defender has been well documented.
According to Mundo Deportivo, h/t Inside Futbol, Basel's Swiss international Fabian Schar could be the answer to Catalan prayers, with a summer swoop mooted.
His "sweeper-keeper" style is exactly what Barca are looking for and they consider him the perfect replacement for the outgoing Victor Valdes.
Barcelona fans could have some good news to celebrate this week with the news that Martin Montoya is ready to finally put pen to paper on a new contract.
According to Talksport, the player's agent, Josep Maria Orobitg, met with senior Barca officials last week and intends to do so again during the next few days.
Both parties would like to formally announce the contract before the trip to Manchester City on February 18.
The future of Pepe Reina remains shrouded in mystery.
According to Marca, Reina noted:
I don't know where I'll be next year, but my plan is to enjoy this season and do a good job.
Then I'll have to go to Liverpool and make a decision. They have to explain to me what their intentions are, but I'm not currently up to speed on all of the possible offers which might come in, because that's a job for my agent.
My future is here, in Italy, and we'll see what happens in June.
It remains to be seen whether Barca will renew Jose Manuel Pinto's contract in June or decide to plump for Reina as their back up option.
It's no secret that Barcelona have required more of a physical presence in the side for an absolute age now.
Step forward William Carvalho of Sporting.
According to Ian Murtagh and Jeremy Cross of the Daily Star, Barca have been keeping tabs on the midfielder.
Marc-Andre Ter Stegen
Although an endorsement was not necessarily required, treble-winning ex-Bayern Munich manager Jupp Heynckes has given his approval to Barcelona signing Borussia Monchengladbach's Marc-Andre ter Stegen.
Ter Stegen is ready to take Valdes' place at Barcelona. He needs the manager's support but he has character to get it.
If I were Barcelona I would sign him immediately.
Heynckes comments follow those of new Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu who said:
"I can't say too much. It is true that he's [ter Stegen] one of the keepers that we've followed, but we've also looked at others."