Biggest Winners and Losers

Full Scoreboard

Jonathan Martin's Lawyers Refused to Speak with Union, Says NFLPA

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Jonathan Martin's Lawyers Refused to Speak with Union, Says NFLPA
John Minchillo/Associated Press

The bullying saga involving Miami Dolphins offensive tackle Jonathan Martin has taken yet another interesting turn on Thursday, Jan. 30.     

According to NFL.com's Around the League Twitter account, National Football League Players Association chief DeMaurice Smith said that Martin's lawyers didn't desire to speak with the union in the midst of its investigation:

Ben Volin of the Boston Globe reported Wednesday that Martin himself didn't cooperate with investigators either, which puts quite a different spin on the entire situation:

The purported perpetrator that led Martin to leave the Dolphins during the 2013 season, Pro Bowl guard Richie Incognito, has had a bit of a history of dirty play.

However, Larry Brown Sports' Steve DelVecchio reported Wednesday that Martin sent Incognito inappropriate text messages. The content of some of these "NSFW" exchanges with Incognito strike similar sentiments to the type of offensive language sent to Martin that made him voluntarily remove himself from the team.

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald previously reported in December that both players' days with the organization were done as it is.

If neither Martin's lawyers nor the 2012 second-round Stanford product came forward during the NFLPA's investigation, it is unclear how their side of the story would have ever been presented.

Of particular note, though, is that Martin did indeed cooperate with the independent investigation spearheaded by renowned criminal attorney Ted Wells, per the Palm Beach Post's Andrew Abramson:

In a recent interview on NBC with former Super Bowl-winning head coach Tony Dungy, Martin spoke publicly about what happened, per NFL.com's Kevin Patra:

I'm a grown man. I've been in locker rooms. There's vulgar language in locker rooms. One instance doesn't bother me. It's the persistence of it. I wish I would have had more tools to solve my situation. I felt trapped, like I didn't have a way to make it right. It came down to a point where, you know, I felt it was best to just remove from myself from the situation.

Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post wasn't impressed with what Martin had to say:

After only 23 games in the NFL, it's going to be difficult for Martin to latch on to a new team if the claims by Incognito's camp are true and his entire side didn't cooperate with the NFLPA investigation he essentially advocated for through his actions.

Martin's situation has been enigmatic, filled with hearsay and has consisted of two separate, high-profile investigations, so it's difficult to determine what the truth is. The 24-year-old lineman has the talent and football savvy to be a successful pro in the future, but these investigations must yield some sort of vindication.

Otherwise, Martin's polarizing reputation will likely continue to be a hot-button issue as he seeks to continue his career.  

Load More Stories

Follow B/R on Facebook

Out of Bounds

NFL

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.