Manchester United Transfer News: Latest Rumours and Buzz Before Window Closes

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Manchester United Transfer News: Latest Rumours and Buzz Before Window Closes
Jon Super/Associated Press

Manchester United look to have secured the winter's best signing with the £37.1 million capture of Juan Mata, per BBC Sport.

As the transfer window closes at 11 p.m. GMT/6 p.m. ET on Jan. 31, David Moyes has little time left to further strengthen his squad.

The Scottish manager recently confirmed he would be looking to add world-class quality in the future, so United fans may hold out hope of further acquisitions before the market closes:

Will the Red Devils tie up additional talent as negotiations come to a halt? Let's take a run through the latest rumours, reports and buzz.

 

Toni Kroos Could Be "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow," Says Pep Guardiola

While it has always seemed unlikely Bayern Munich would let a key star leave at this stage in the season, Pep Guardiola's recent comments will have United fans hoping Moyes goes in for the kill.

The Spanish manager, who watched on as Toni Kroos threw his gloves to the floor after being substituted during the side's Jan. 29 clash with Stuttgart, hinted his player could be sold before the end of the deadline.

Per John Drayton of the Daily Mail:

"He (Kroos) is an important player but things can move fast in football," said Guardiola. "Here today, gone tomorrow."

Should David Moyes break the bank for Toni Kroos?

Submit Vote vote to see results

Speculation has been rife since Moyes was pictured at the weekend alongside Kroos' agent, Sascha Breese, per Alex Richards of the Mirror. However, United are yet to state their interest in the player.

The attack-minded midfielder wouldn't address the club's need for a more defensive midfielder or centre-back, but his versatility would certainly be welcome. Kroos offers top-class quality across the pitch. He could be an excellent purchase.

 

Luke Shaw Destined to Replace Ashley Cole at Chelsea

Paul Thomas/Getty Images

Leighton Baines' decision to sign a new four-year deal with Everton ends any lingering interest United may have had, according to Sky Sports.

The Premier League champions have allegedly turned their attention toward Southampton left-back Luke Shaw, but the player is waiting on a move to Chelsea, according to John Cross of the Mirror:

Luke Shaw is ready to snub Manchester United - and wait for a dream transfer to Chelsea.

We revealed last week that David Moyes has tabled a £22million bid to take the Southampton left-back to champions United.

But the Londoners are determined not to let the 18-year-old move to Old Trafford, as they see him as the No1 successor to Ashley Cole.

Shaw, who famously supports the Blues, would certainly address lingering problems at Stamford Bridge. Jose Mourinho recently dropped Ashley Cole in favour of Cesar Azpilicueta, who isn't a natural left-back, suggesting there is major room for improvement in West London.

It will take a special offer for United to snatch Shaw away from the club he appears to favour, so Moyes may be best looking elsewhere.

As with the Baines deal, a move for Shaw is destined to turn out fruitless.

 

Moyes Fails With Last-Ditch Effort to Land Fernando

United need a defensive midfielder—that much has been apparent across the last few seasons—but it appears Moyes has failed to land the latest name linked with a move.

As reported by Paul Clennam of Goal.com, a late attempt to snatch Fernando away from Porto is set to end in disappointment:

Porto have dismissed any notion of the deal being completed this week. Having sold fellow midfielder Lucho Gonzalez to the Qatar Stars League at the weekend, the Portuguese outfit are reluctant to sell Fernando with so little time to find a replacement.

Fernando is an enforcer in the centre for Porto. He can effectively break up play and progress moves with accurate passing. He averages three tackles and 2.5 interceptions per game, according to WhoScored.

Will Manchester United make any further signings this January?

Submit Vote vote to see results

The 26-year-old Brazilian is the type of individual who could provide the likes of Mata with greater freedom, while also allowing Michael Carrick to move away from a role that predominantly sees him remain on the halfway line.

Although this would have been a smart deal for the champions, especially if a £7 million fee can be agreed, Moyes may have to make do with the personnel he has currently got.

Clennam's report also suggests a move for Fabio Coentrao is set to fail, but this doesn't change a situation that has remained dormant since the summer.

Load More Stories

Follow Manchester United from B/R on Facebook

Follow Manchester United from B/R on Facebook and get the latest updates straight to your newsfeed!

Out of Bounds

Transfer News

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.