Borussia Dortmund have had a rather quiet January transfer window, with no player changes made for the spring term. Jurgen Klopp's side did confirm the long-anticipated departure of Robert Lewandowski, as well as the acquisition of Ji Dong-Won, both effective as of July 1, 2014. But otherwise, BVB have been rather mum.
It was expected that the January transfer window would close with no additions to Dortmund's squad, but a season-ending knee injury to Jakub Blaszczykowski last weekend may have changed the club's course. Speaking to Ruhr Nachrichten (h/t to Goal.com), sporting director Michael Zorc left the door open for a new addition in the final days of the transfer window:
"I have never ruled out anything. There are one or two options that we are considering," he said.
Dortmund have until 18:00 on January 31 to confirm any transfers.
—LAST UPDATE: Friday, January 31—
Borussia Dortmund have completed the signing of Milos Jojic from Partizan Belgrade, reports Stefan Coerts of Goal. com.
The attacking midfielder has signed a four and a half year contract and cost the Bundesliga side €2.5 million.
Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc is quoted as saying:
We're very happy with the signing of Milos Jojic.
He is a player who is very versatile in midfield and who has a lot of potential.
He completes our squad.
Dortmund's replacement for the injured Jakub Blaszczykowski will be young Serbian midfielder Milos Jojic, according to a report by Bild's Jorg Weiler, Roberto Lamprecht, Heiko Niedderer and Markus Balczuweit.
The 21-year-old has left Partizan's training camp in Turkey and is expected to sign a four-year contract; his release should cost BVB €2.2 million.
Jojic made his debut for Serbia in a friendly with Japan last October and scored in a five-minute substitute's appearance. A primarily central playmaker who can also feature on the left wing, the Belgrade native has recorded six goals and given seven assists in 15 matches in the Serbian SuperLiga this season.
UPDATE, January 31
Dortmund have officially announced the signing of Jogic via their official website. The youngster has signed a a four-and-a-half year contract with the Ruhr club.
Financial details were not released officially, but Bild reiterated their previous report that claimed BVB paid €2.2 million for the player.
The clubs were mum about deals other than Gala revealing Gunter had signed a contract valid until the end of the 2017-18 season. Fatih Demireli, of German source Spox later announced more details via his Twitter account. According to the reporter, Gala paid €2.5 million to sign Gunter, a fee that will rise by €150,000 for each increment of 20 games he plays until he reaches 60 appearances. Gunter could therefore cost a maximum of €2.95 million.
Additionally, Demireli revealed that Gunter has a buy-back clause in his Gala contract: Dortmund can re-sign the center-back for €7 million in the summer of 2015.
According to a report by Bild's Jorg Weiler, Roberto Lamprecht, Heiko Niedderer and Markus Balczuweit, Dortmund are closing in on their second striker signing (following Ji Dong-Won) of the summer of 2014. Adrian Ramos has allegedly agreed to terms of a move to the Signal-Iduna Park.
Although his agent would not confirm this information officially, the report claims that Ramos has told Hertha BSC's directors that he will leave the club this summer. All that remains to be clarified is a transfer fee; Hertha reportedly want €8-10 million for the release of their star striker, whose contract expires in 2015.
The report cites a media flirtation between Klopp and Ramos, with the coach praising the 28-year-old for being an "exceptionally good striker" in a recent interview. Speaking to Bild, Ramos called Klopp a "great coach" and admitted the trainer's praise had made him proud.
The report claims that although BVB opted against a move for the Bosnian striker last year due to his €8.5 million annual wages being too steep for their liking, the player does not feel appreciated at City and is willing to accept a pay cut and performance-based salary with a move to the Ruhr area.
Dzeko, who has been used as a starter just 10 times in City's 22 Premier League games this season, is reportedly keen to return to the Bundesliga. However, Wolfsburg sporting director Klaus Allofs was quoted as ruling out a return for the former VfL star, who was the German league's top scorer in 2009-10.
BVB, on the other hand, reportedly remain keen on Dzeko. The report claims the 27-year-old would cost just over €20 million.
According to a report by Kai Psotta, Heiko Niedderer and Jorg Weiler in Bild, Dortmund are keen to sign Lewis Holtby from Tottenham.
The versatile midfielder would be capable of playing on the wing and in both attacking and defensive midfield, occupying areas where BVB have been found lacking in depth all season long as injuries to Ilkay Gundogan, Sven Bender, Sebastian Kehl and now Blaszczykowski have left the squad decimated at times. Additionally, Holtby would would be eligible to play in the Champions League.
The report claims that although Schalke have shown interest, BVB might be more willing to meet Tottenham's €6 million valuation of the player who left the Gelsenkirchen side for Spurs one year ago.
UPDATE, JANUARY 28:
Bild published a brief follow-up on their initial story linking Holtby to Dortmund. The report claimed that BVB had decided only a loan would be acceptable. Tottenham insisted on a sale of the player, who would cost €6 million and earn €3 million annually in wages. As such, sporting director Michael Zorc reportedly broke off negotiations with Spurs.
In the Bild report by Kai Psotta, Heiko Niedderer and Jorg Weiler that links Holtby with a move to Dortmund, it is also claimed that the Ruhr club have interest in signing Kevin Volland from Hoffenheim.
The report states that BVB have had interest in signing the 21-year-old Volland for some time, but only now, following Blaszczykowski's injury and last weekend's 2-2 draw with Augsburg, are considering a January move for the attacking all-rounder.
The report states that Hoffenheim are more likely to sell Volland, who has a contract until 2017, in the summer. Hoffe agreed to sell Luiz Gustavo to Bayern in January of 2011, however, so it is conceivable that a sizeable offer from BVB could convince the club to release Volland.
UPDATE, January 28:
Following their previous report, Bild added to their Volland-to-Dortmund narrative with a follow-up story that claimed a January move is unlikely. The report claims that although Juergen Klopp is keen to sign Volland, Hoffenheim are reticent to sell. However, the report also claims that the 21-year-old has a buy-out clause in the amount of €15 million, which will take effect in the summer.
Blaszczykowski's knee injury and Manchester United's subsequent signing of Juan Mata might immediately leave one to conclude that Shinji Kagawa will return to Dortmund this January. CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke told Der Westen (h/t Sky) last May that "the door is always open" for the Japan international at BVB, and a move would appear more possible now than ever before.
"Shinji will remain in Manchester in January and will not leave."
If Dortmund are to sign a player to replace Blaszczykowski, it seems that Kagawa is not a possibility.