With a week to go in the transfer window, it comes as no surprise that there is plenty of transfer talk.
Chelsea are in the news, and there is one story involving their captain John Terry that may leave fans feeling blue.
David Moyes has the backing of Manchester United despite their troubles, while Liverpool are on the lookout for a midfielder.
All this and more features in Friday’s edition of the Paper News and Gossip Roundup.
Is John Terry’s Chelsea career coming to an end?
That would appear to be the view of the Mirror’s John Cross who claims club and player are at odds over a new deal.
Cross claims Terry, who has been in brilliant form this season to the extent that there have been calls for him to earn an England recall, wants a three-year commitment.
However, in his piece that has been tagged exclusive, Cross states the club are only prepared to offer their captain a one-year deal—on reduced terms.
In his piece, Cross wrote:
Sources close to Terry say he is now becoming resigned to the fact that he will not be at Stamford Bridge next season.
He knows his next contract is likely to be his last as a player and is keen to secure a three-year deal. The indications from Chelsea are that there is little chance of a compromise on the length of the contract.
Liverpool and England have another injury to contend with, as the Mail’s Dominic King claims Glen Johnson is in danger of missing the World Cup on account of two problems.
Johnson is a key figure for club and country, but he has been hampered by problems this season and King claims ankle and groin injuries the player has been carrying for some time require surgery.
Reds boss Brendan Rodgers has spoken about the full-back but would give no timescale other that to say the timeline is “indefinite”.
King claims Johnson faces a race against time to prove his fitness to England manager Roy Hodgson ahead of him naming his squad for Brazil.
Michael Essien looks to be on his way out of Chelsea, with a switch to AC Milan close to being finalised.
It could have been different, as the Mail’s John Drayton has revealed struggling West Ham made a late enquiry to keep him in the Premier League.
Drayton claims the Hammers made contact, but Essien had already made the decision that he wanted to move abroad.
Hammers boss Sam Allardyce may have missed out on Essien, but he has not been deterred from strengthening his side and could soon have a new striker on his books.
The Mail's Declan Warrington claims West Ham are planning talking with Roma forward Marco Borriello.
Not done with the capture of Borriello, Allardyce also has his eyes on Milan forward Antonio Nocerino, per a report from the Daily Star's Colin Harvey.
It’s been a mixed week for Manchester United boss David Moyes.
Shelling out a huge sum on Mata would be a clear indication from the club that Moyes retains their full support. That is the case, according to the Daily Star:
Starsport has learned Moyes’ future is not in doubt and his position is not even on the boardroom agenda. It is understood senior figures at United haven’t even felt the need to give Moyes a private vote of confidence.
A well placed club source said: 'The future of the manager is not even worthy of a debate.'
Harvey has got his hands on quotes from Trabzonspor president Ibrahim Haciosmanoglu who has said a deal was in place until Torres damaged his knee.
In Harvey's piece, Haciosmanoglu said: "We had agreed terms with Demba Ba. However, following Fernando Torres’ injury, Mourinho made it clear that they didn’t want to let go of Ba just yet."
Harvey suggests Trabzonspor may renew their interest in the final week of the January transfer window.
Liverpool have made a move for Spartak Moscow midfielder Romulo, per a report from the Express’ Ben Jefferson.
Jefferson claims Reds boss Brendan Rodgers scouted the player last year, only to put any move on ice.
The Express scribe suggests the injury to Lucas Leiva has prompted a change of stance and could result in Liverpool making a bid next week.
Thursday afternoon saw Southampton release a statement confirming striker Dani Osvaldo had been suspended for a fortnight on account of a training-ground incident.
Reports were initially sketchy as to why he had been sanctioned, but the papers have been doing their best to dig into the story.
The Mail’s Neil Ashton and Sami Mokbel have had their ears to the ground and claims Osvaldo launched an attack on Jose Fonte following a clash during a training game.
In their story, Ashton and Mokbel wrote:
Southampton’s fiery striker left Fonte with a suspected broken nose after the clash, which stunned team-mates and officials with its raw aggression.
According to sources at St Mary’s, there was blood everywhere following the violent confrontation between two of the club’s first-team players.
But Osvaldo was upset by a robust challenge and the pair became embroiled in an ugly confrontation that led to the forward attacking Fonte.
The escalation of the row between the pair was described as brutal, and Southampton’s players, as well as manager Mauricio Pochettino, were stunned by its savage nature.
Etienne Capoue’s agent has hit out at Tottenham over the club’s “absurd” valuation of the midfielder, according to the Daily Star’s Colin Harvey.
Harvey claims Napoli want to sign the midfielder this month, but are not prepared to match Tottenham’s asking price.
In Harvey’s piece, Capoue’s agent Martha Fischer said: "The problem is not the player or Napoli, Tottenham just want a lot of money. What they’re asking for is absurd. But we are only on January 21, and there is still hope.”
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's squad rebuilding at Cardiff City looks set to continue with the capture of Wigan Athletic defender Ivan Ramis, per a report from the Mail's Simon Jones.
Alan Nixon of the Mirror claims Solskjaer will raid his former side Manchester United to snap up Fabio da Silva.
Fulham have made a bid for Leicester defender Liam Moore, according to the Mail's Paul Hirst.
Stoke City striker Peter Crouch is a target for Queens Park Rangers, according to the Mirror's James Nursey.
Arsenal are keeping tabs on Charlton full-back Jordan Cousins, per a report from the Mirror's John Cross.