Its come to my attention that the Lakers are heavily favored over the Denver Nuggets in the first round of the 2008 NBA Playoffs. Los Angeles is the #1 seed and Denver just met the two drink minimum.
Many people have referred to me as crazy for picking Denver in 6 but I will happily defend it.In the 1993-94 season, the Nuggets were thrown into the playoffs against another top seed, the Seattle Supersonics. Who won? You guessed it Denver.
There are several key and important coincidences of the two that link them together. So without further delay, more evidence the Los Angeles Lakers will lose.
Lets look at the similarities between the two series
1. 1994 Playoffs The Seattle Supersonics were the #1 seed and Denver the 8th
2008 Playoffs Los Angeles Lakers were the #1 seed and Denverwas the 8th
2. 1994 Playoffs Seattle took Game 1 and Game 2 at home
2008 Playoffs Los Angeles took games 1 at home
3. 1994 Playoffs George Karl was the coach of the Seattle Supersonics
2008 Playoffs George Karl is the coach of the Denver Nuggets
4. 1994 Playoffs Dikembe Mutombo was the Nuggets enforcer, their best defensive player, and one of the premiere shot blockers in the game averaging over 3 BPG
2008 Marcus Camby acts as a modern day Mutombo, winning Defensive Player of the Year last year and leading the league in blocks per game for 3 consecutive seasons
5. 1994 Playoffs All 5 Seattle starters averaged over double-figures throughout the regular season
2008 Playoffs All 5 of the Lakers first string averaged over double-figures throughout the regular season
Uncanny right? Or is this series between the Nuggets-Lakers just a deja vu of the 1994?
In the end, the Denver Nuggets advanced and beat the Seattle Supersonics in 6 games but later got eliminated in the 2ndround.
Game 2 is tonight at 6:30 pm at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.