Paper News and Gossip: Manchester United to Bid for Juan Mata, Cazorla Apology
Manchester United dominate the headlines on Tuesday with mixed news for manager David Moyes.
Several reports claim United are on the verge of making their move for Chelsea midfielder Juan Mata, while one newspaper claims Wayne Rooney can leave the club if they qualify for the Champions League.
Elsewhere, Arsenal midfielder Santi Cazorla has apologised to Tottenham Hotspur supporters for a picture which appeared on Twitter.
But who else is making the headlines on Tuesday? Read on to find out more.
Manchester United Poised for Mata Bid as Poor Season Threatens USA Tour
Several newspapers reports that United are set to make their move for Chelsea midfielder Mata.
Jason Burt of the Daily Telegraph claims that United will offer £37 million for the Spain international, who is concerned about his World Cup place if he cannot find regular first-team football at Stamford Bridge.
Jeremy Cross of the Daily Star claims United will be open to offers for striker Wayne Rooney if they qualify for the Champions League this season.
Robin van Persie has held "clear-the-air" talks with Moyes over his fitness, reports Neil Custis of The Sun (subscription required).
The United medical staff claim the forward is fit to play, but the Dutchman believes he needs more time to recover from a thigh injury, claims the article.
David Anderson of the Daily Mirror says that United's pre-season trip to the United States to mark a new sponsorship deal with Chevrolet will be under threat if the team are involved in qualification rounds for the Europa League.
Meanwhile, winger Wilfried Zaha was "mysteriously" left on the bench for United's reserve team on Monday, reports Alan Nixon of the Daily Mirror.
Juventus are set to beat United to the signing of Sporting Lisbon midfielder William Carvalho, reports James Gheerbrant of the Daily Mirror.
West Brom Striker Nicolas Anelka to Be Charged by FA over Controversial Gesture
Amid all the headlines surrounding Manchester United's woes, West Bromwich Albion striker Nicolas Anelka also dominates the back pages.
The French international is set to be charged by the Football Association for his controversial "quenelle" gesture after scoring against West Ham last month, reports Sam Wallace of The Independent.
Meanwhile, West Brom shirt sponsors Zoopla will not renew their arrangement with the club at the end of the season due to the controversy, claims Stuart James of The Guardian.
The striker played in the 1-1 draw with Everton on Monday, but his display did not impress Dominic King of the Daily Mail.
Arsenal Midfielder Santi Cazorla Apologises to Spurs Fans over Twitter Picture
Arsenal midfielder Santi Cazorla has apologised to Tottenham supporters over a picture which appeared on Twitter, reports John Cross of the Daily Mirror.
The Spaniard was pictured on French television alongside Robert Pires holding up a derogatory message aimed at Spurs.
But Cazorla says he did not understand what was written on the paper he held up, saying on his Twitter timeline: "Our apologizes to the Totenham fans, we couldn’t see the paper. #alwaysfootballalwaysrespect."
In the player's defence, Cross also points out that the 29-year-old is still learning English after his move from Malaga in 2012.
Manchester City Manager Manuel Pellegrini Backs Injury-Plagued Stevan Jovetic
Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has offered his support to injury-hit Stevan Jovetic, reports David Anderson of the Daily Mirror.
The Montenegro international costs £135,000 per minute this season after being hampered in his hopes of making the City first team due to injury since joining the club for £22.5 million in the summer, claims Anderson.
But Pellegrini believes Jovetic will prove himself once he returns to full fitness:
Of course he has been frustrated.
He came here with the illusion of playing in the Premier League. He was a very important player in Italy and I still believe he will be a very important player for us.
He can really start playing often in the next three months and I think he can be the player we hoped he would be.
Meanwhile, City defender Joleon Lescott will ask the club to let him join Besiktas before the transfer window closes, claims Ben Jefferson of the Daily Express.
City have reached agreement with the man dubbed the "Nigerian Neymar," Chidiebere Nwakali, reports Colin Harvey of the Daily Star.
Bits and Pieces: Neymar, Jose Mourinho, Swansea, Dimitar Berbatov, Yohan Cabaye
Pete Jenson of the Daily Mail attempts to unravel the furore surrounding the transfer of Neymar to Barcelona this summer in Tuesday's edition of the newspaper.
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has undergone surgery on a long-term elbow problem, reports The Sun.
The Stamford Bridge boss will be wearing a sling for a few days after the operation on his arm.
Strange goings-on at Swansea City, where police were called to the training ground on Friday after defender Chico Flores was alleged to have held up a brick during a row with teammate Garry Monk, claims Chris Wheeler of the Daily Mail.
Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is considering a move for ex-Spurs striker Dimitar Berbatov, even though head coach Tim Sherwood believes the club have enough strikers, claims Matt Law of the Daily Telegraph.
Hull City manager Steve Bruce is considering a move for AC Milan midfielder Sulley Muntari, reports Bill Cooper of the Daily Mirror.
Paris Saint-Germain are preparing a £21 million move for Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye, claims Alex Richards of the Daily Mirror.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!