Borussia Dortmund Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of January 20

Clark WhitneyFeatured ColumnistJanuary 20, 2014

Borussia Dortmund Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of January 20

0 of 2

    Frank Augstein/Associated Press

    Borussia Dortmund completed their first signing of the 2014 calendar year last week as the club announced the capture of Ji Dong-Won, who will move to the Signal-Iduna Park on a four-year contract beginning in the summer.

    Ji is the first but will surely not be the last player BVB will sign this year. Last week, sporting director Michael Zorc told WAZ (English here) that his club will have to "change everything" as they look ahead to the next season.

    Dortmund have been and continue to be linked with a plethora of names as possible additions, while others have been rumored to be on their way out of the club. Click "Begin Slideshow" for a roundup of all the latest rumors.

     

    —LAST UPDATE: Monday, January 20—

Sebastian Kehl

1 of 2

    Handout/Getty Images

    With his contract due to expire in June, the future of Dortmund captain Sebastian Kehl has long been in question. But as he approaches the final months of his current deal it appears that the veteran midfielder will remain at BVB for another year.

    Speaking to Bild, sporting director Michael Zorc said: "Kehli still gives us confidence that he's fit. I would be very glad to see him play for us [next season]."

    The report claims that Kehl is set to pen a one-year deal and is, as BVB's most senior player, considered an extension of coach Juergen Klopp. The midfielder, who turns 34 in February, will reportedly pursue a role in Dortmund's management when he retires.

Marco Reus

2 of 2

    Michael Probst/Associated Press

    Tottenham Hotspur have joined the race to sign Marco Reus, according to a report by Steve Stammers, of the Mirror.

    The report alleges that with Jermaine Defoe having left Spurs for Toronto FC and with Nacer Chadli and Lewis Holtby having failed to establish themselves as stars at White Hart Lane, Tim Sherwood is in the market for a top-class attacker and is willing to sell his excess in order to raise some £28 million to fund a move for Reus.

    The 24-year-old Reus currently has a contract with Dortmund that runs until 2017. BVB CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke revealed to Sport1 (English here) in December that the player does indeed have a release clause, although he did not specify when that clause takes effect and how much an interested club would have to pay to activate it.

    Bild reported (English here) shortly after Reus' signing with Dortmund that the player's contract has a buyout clause of €35 million that takes effect in 2015. Reus is a popular figure in the transfer market and on Sunday was quoted by Spanish publication Sport as admitting interest from Barcelona was "flattering."