Borussia Dortmund Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of January 13
Last week, Borussia Dortmund were linked with Karim Benzema, Serge Gnabry, Sami Khedira, Shinji Kagawa, Mario Mandzukic, Edin Dzeko and Michy Batshuayi, while Marco Reus, Ilkay Gundogan and Sebastian Kehl were rumored to be on their way out of Signal Iduna Park.
BVB also confirmed the acquisition of young striker Tim Vayrynen from FC Honka.
The transfer window remains wide open until the end of January, and Dortmund will surely be a hot topic in the German and international press as they look to replace Bayern-bound forward Robert Lewandowski and settle the uncertain narratives of Marco Reus and Ilkay Gundogan.
Click "Begin Slideshow" for a look at this week's new rumors of possible ins and outs for BVB this January and beyond.
—LAST UPDATE: Friday, January 17—
According to a report in Gazzetta Dello Sport, Dortmund are interested in signing Andrea Ranocchia from Inter before the January transfer window closes. The 25-year-old would be eligible to feature for BVB in the Champions League, and coach Juergen Klopp has reportedly given the go-ahead to begin negotiations.
There is, however, a large disagreement between the clubs over the player's value according to the report. Dortmund are believed to be ready to pay €7 million, whereas the Nerazzurri are expecting €15 million. However, with Ranocchia's contract at Inter set to expire in 18 months, the report speculates that Inter would accept an offer in the region of €10-12 million.
Ranocchia has been named to Walter Mazzarri's starting lineup in 14 of Inter's 19 Serie A matches this season.
The 22-year-old spent last spring on loan at Augsburg and will do the same in 2014 following a disappointing fall term in which he failed to score in just seven appearances for Sunderland. BVB are yet to confirm the transfer.
Bild also claimed that Ji will initially be a backup striker for Dortmund, who lose Robert Lewandowski to Bayern on a free transfer in the summer. Other candidates, according to the German tabloid, are Karim Benzema, Christian Benteke, Jackson Martinez and Diego Costa.
UPDATE, January 17
Dortmund have confirmed on their official website that Ji will join the club on July 1 on a four-year contract. BVB sporting director Michael Zorc hailed the signing of the 6'2" forward:
"Dong-Won Ji is a player who can play in a variety of positions in attack. We are pleased to have signed this talented player for next season on a free transfer."
Ilkay Gundogan has been largely silent with regard to his future, but on Wednesday spoke some very carefully chosen words.
Speaking to Bild, the coveted 23-year-old said (via the Independent):
"I will soon make a decision that will be well considered. It's still really open."
However, the player insists he is simply focusing on becoming fit once more, having not played since mid-August due to a back injury.
"I'm trying to be healthy," he said. "This is important and a top priority for BVB and for me."
Gundogan has a contract that will expire in the summer of 2015.
UPDATE, January 16
Bild reports that Gundogan is back on Barcelona's radar in a serious way. The paper claims that Gundogan's father and uncle met with representatives of Barca, who see the player as a successor to the soon-to-be 34-year-old Xavi.
According to a very brief report from L'Equipe, Dortmund sent a scout to see the recent 0-0 draw between Rennes and Nice. The purpose was supposedly to watch and assess Rennes winger Romain Alessandrini.
The 24-year-old Alessandrini has done well to recover from a cruciate ligament tear sustained last February, scoring four goals in Ligue 1 this season. He has a contract that runs until 2016 and is currently valued at €7.5 million, according to Transfermarkt.