Inter Milan Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of January 6

Richard MorganContributor IJanuary 6, 2014

Inter Milan Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of January 6

0 of 5

    The main man: Inter coach Walter Mazzarri will be desperate to sign some new players in January in order to aid his club's push for next season's UEFA Champions League.
    The main man: Inter coach Walter Mazzarri will be desperate to sign some new players in January in order to aid his club's push for next season's UEFA Champions League.Valerio Pennicino/Getty Images

    With the January transfer window having been open for the past week now, clubs around Europe are already busy finalising their recruitment plans for the rest of this season—none more so than Serie A giants Inter Milan.

    New Nerazzurri president Erick Thohir has already made it clear that there will be some new players arriving at San Siro before the window slams shut for business for this campaign at the end of the month.

    And so for all you Inter fans out there, stay glued to this transfer tracker for all the latest news and rumours involving your club.

     

    Last updated Friday, Jan. 9 at 2 p.m. GMT (9 a.m. EST).

Algerian Attacking Ace Now Heads to Florence

1 of 5

    Dino Panato/Getty Images

    Friday, Jan. 10

    Inter striker Ishak Belfodil (pictured) now looks to be heading to Serie A rivals Fiorentina on loan this month rather than Premier League strugglers West Ham United, as had initially been reported, says the Daily Express.

    The east London club had been hoping to tie up the loan capture of the Algeria international by Thursday after officials from Upton Park had flown to Italy to tie up a short-term deal for Belfodil at the start of this week.

    However the forward’s former club Parma, who still own a percentage of the 21-year-old’s economic rights, are understood to favour the player moving to Florence instead in January, with La Viola said to be keen for Belfodil to replace knee-injury victim Giuseppe Rossi at the Stadio Artemio Franchi.

     

    Elsewhere, there are now new developments in Inter’s chase for Southampton striker Pablo Daniel Osvaldo, according to reports in the Daily Mail.

    The Serie A giants are desperate to sign the powerful Italy international in the January transfer window and in order to persuade the Saints to part company with their recent club-record purchase, the Italians are now understood to be prepared to offer in-demand midfielder Fredy Guarin in part exchange for the 27-year-old.

    The coveted Colombia international is also currently being chased by both Manchester United and Chelsea, with the Blues having already seen a €13m bid for the midfielder rejected by Inter at the start of this week.

    Meanwhile, the west London club have also tried to offer the Nerazzurri out-of-favour striker Demba Ba in part exchange for the 27-year-old, although Inter are said to prefer a deal involving Osvaldo instead.

    Either way, however, Inter head coach Walter Mazzarri is adamant that he does not want Guarin to leave San Siro in the January window, although the Italian also admits that the final decision on where the experienced South American’s future lies could now be out of his hands.

    "Clearly I'd like him to stay, but if his sale is being considered then that explains the club's situation," Mazzarri is quoted as saying on Goal.com. "This year there are eight players coming towards the end of their contracts.”

Inter to "Do Everything Possible" to Land Azzurri Front Man in January

2 of 5

    Marco Luzzani/Getty Images

    Thursday, Jan. 9

    Inter Milan are keen on signing Southampton striker Pablo Daniel Osvaldo (pictured) on an initial six-month loan deal, with a view to then landing the Italy international on a permanent contract at the end of the season, according to reports on Football Italia.

    The 27-year-old only moved to St Mary’s from AS Roma last summer on a four-year deal for a fee of £12.8 million, however, Osvaldo has since found it hard to settle on the south coast.

    And now officials from San Siro are flying to the UK on Wednesday to “do everything possible” to be able to convince the Saints to part company with their record signing in the January transfer window.

     

    Meanwhile, Inter have now told Chelsea to return with a second offer for midfielder Fredy Guarin if the west London club still want to land the Colombian this month, says the Daily Mirror.

    The Italians rejected an initial bid of 13m for the 27-year-old earlier this week, and now the club have told their counterparts from Stamford Bridge that unless they receive an offer they can’t refuse for Guarin by the end of the week, thought to be at least €15m, then they will call off all talks for the goalscoring midfielder.

     

    Elsewhere, Argentinian midfield player Ruben Botta has now finally completed his long-awaited move to Inter after spending the first half of the season on loan at Livorno, reports Goal.com.

    The 23-year-old was signed from Tigre last summer, however, Botta was initially unable to move to San Siro as the Nerazzurri did not have enough non-EU places available in their squad to accommodate the new recruit.

    "Ruben Botta is an Inter player after the paperwork relating to his transfer was completed on Wednesday," said a statement on the club's official website on Wednesday.

    "The 23-year-old Argentine has signed from Livorno on a permanent deal that runs until 2018."

     

    And finally Inter have now decided to withdraw from the race to sign unsettled Tottenham Hotspur forward Erik Lamela, claims the Daily Mail.

    The Serie A outfit had been hoping to agree a six-month loan deal with the north London club for their misfiring Argentina international, but Spurs are refusing to countenance such a move in January.

    In fact, Tottenham will only consider allowing Lamela to leave White Hart Lane if they are able to recoup most, if not all, of the club-record £30m that they forked out to sign the 21-year-old from Roma last summer.

    All of which means that Italian champions Juventus now look most likely to land the player instead on a permanent big-money deal at the end of the season.

Belgium Star Picks Giallorossi over Inter

3 of 5

    Marco Luzzani/Getty Images

    Wednesday, Jan. 8

    Inter Milan appear to have now lost out in the race to land in-demand Cagliari midfield player Radja Nainggolan (pictured) on a six-month loan deal, with the 25-year-old instead opting to join AS Roma until next summer, reports Goal.com.

    The Nerazzurri were believed to be one of a number of big-name Serie A clubs vying to sign Nainggolan in January, along with the likes of champions Juventus, city rivals AC Milan and Napoli too.

    However, the player has now decided to move to the Italian capital, with Nainggolan’s agent, Nicola Salerno, confirming as much to Tele Radio Stereo.

    “I will not get into the merits of the move. That does not seem right,” said Salerno.

    “But Roma were quicker; that is it. He is going to a top club with a great team." 

     

    Meanwhile, another day, another development in the ongoing transfer saga involving unsettled Tottenham Hotspur forward Erik Lamela.

    However, now it appears as though the Argentina international is definitely heading for the White Hart Lane exit door during this month’s transfer window after the 21-year-old’s father revealed that his son was desperate to quit the north London club in January and return to Serie A, with Inter one of a number of clubs to have been linked with Lamela in recent weeks.

    “Erik is not happy and wants to go back to Italy,” Jose Lamela is quoted as telling the Italian media in the Metro.

    “He has been linked with Lazio, but I don’t know anything about this. Could he re-join Roma? I don’t know.

    “Tottenham does not want him to leave in January.”

Negotiations with Blues over Sale of South American Star Are Now over

4 of 5

    Valerio Pennicino/Getty Images

    Tuesday, Jan. 7

    Inter Milan have finally decided to end talks with Premier League side Chelsea over the much-publicised transfer of midfield player Fredy Guarin to Stamford Bridge during the January transfer window, according to reports in the Daily Express.

    The two clubs have been in discussions of late regarding the 27-year-old’s possible switch to west London, however, the Nerazzurri have now opted to keep the highly rated Colombia international at San Siro instead.

    "Guarin is an Inter player and we are happy to keep him," Inter's sporting director Piero Ausilio said.

    "Denying the contacts with Chelsea would be denying the evidence. It is a source of pride to talk with them about one of our players, but everything stopped there.

    "We are happy Guarin could stay with us for a long time. We don't have the intention to sell him. He's an important player."

    Meanwhile the player himself also confirmed that while his agent has been negotiating with the Blues, he now intends to remain with Inter for the rest of this season.

    "I haven't spoken to Mourinho. My agent has done that," he said.

    "I hope that Inter are thinking about how much I really want to stay here.

    "There is something going on, I can definitely not deny that.

    "But now I focus only on Inter and to do well here, we'll see in the future."

Unsettled Argentine Attacker Heads to San Siro

5 of 5

    Ian Walton/Getty Images

    Monday, Jan. 6

    Inter Milan are currently in talks with Premier League outfit Tottenham Hotspur about a possible loan swoop for the north London club’s misfiring forward Erik Lamela (pictured), according to Jack Wilson of the Daily Star.

    The Argentina international only moved to White Hart Lane from Serie A side AS Roma last summer in a club-record transfer that could eventually rise to as much as £30 million.

    However, the left-sided attacker has since struggled badly to adapt to life in the Premier League, with the 21-year-old having netted just once all season, and now, his agent has flown to Rome to negotiate a six-month loan switch to San Siro for his client.

     

    Meanwhile, Football Italia says that Inter and Torino are still in discussions over the purchase of full-back Danilo D'Ambrosio in January, with city rivals AC Milan also said to be interested in the Italian.

    But it is understood that Inter are now close to agreeing a deal for the 25-year-old after Torino rejected the chance to take Gaby Mudingayi, Patrick Olsen or even Ruben Botta, as well as between €2 million and €3 million, in part exchange for their in-demand defender.

    Instead, Torino will either accept a 50 percent stake in Francesco Bardi, who would in turn remain on loan with Livorno, and their choice of players from the likes of Alfred Duncan, Ibrahima Mbaye and Samuele Longo.

    According to the story, other reports claim that in actual fact a deal has already been agreed between the two clubs whereby Botta, who is also currently out on loan at Livorno, joins Torino and D'Ambrosio moves to Inter.