Bayern Munich continued their dominant assault on the January transfer window with a usual gust of efficiency last weekend when the pre-contract agreement with Borussia Dortmund's Robert Lewandowski was finally announced.
Such a deal means that the Polish international, a striker well-regarded throughout Europe, will make the move south to Munich once the current season comes to a close.
This means that despite only being one week into the transfer window, the Bundesliga champions and current leaders have already conducted two deals; Lewandowski's move from Borussia Dortmund and Jan Kirchhoff's 18-month loan deal to Schalke.
Now for the rest...
Last updated: Jan. 10, 4 p.m. GMT (10 a.m. EST).
Bayern seem to be making a habit of these worst kept secrets, as Eintracht Frankfurt's promising young midfielder Sebastian Rode has reportedly agreed to sign a pre-contract deal with the Bavarian club and move this summer when his contract expires in Frankfurt.
Such a move was reported by Kicker(German) on Thursday, January 9, in which they state that the club have no intention of pushing the deal through this month.
In an interview with Frankfurter Rundschau(German), club CEO Heribert Bruchhagen stated; “That has been clear for nine months now.”
The logical outcome of the Lewandowski news is of course what now happens to Mario Mandzukic, Bayern Munich's one and only striker.
The striker was linked with a move to Italian side Juventus last week on the eve of New Years, through a number of untrusted web blogs, yet the English press has led the charge this week with none other than the Daily Mail Online's Neil Ashton, Mirror Football's Ed Malyon and Richard Beech, The Guardian's Jacob Steinberg and The Independent's Samuel Stevens all running with stories on Jan. 6 suggesting that the striker may be off to either Arsenal or Manchester United.
With recent injuries adding to a misfiring Oliver Giroud, Arsenal seem like the keenest party involved, yet Bayern chairman Karl Heinz Rummenigge was having none of it when asked about a potential move this month.
"We're very happy with Mario. He made a major contribution to us winning so many titles last year. He's a fantastic player who has come on leaps and bounds with Bayern," the Bayern boss said.
"We have absolutely no intention of selling Mario."
On Jan. 2, the dreaded tale of David Luiz returned once again to the forefront of every Bayern fan’s worries as Richard Beech of Mirror Football ran with a story originally reported by Bild, that Pep Guardiola was once again hot on the heels of the Chelsea defender in the high hopes of bringing him to Munich this month.
Yet last Sunday, John Drayton of the Daily Mail Online reported that Bayern were no longer interested in the Chelsea defender, quoting the Bayern chairman Rummenigge when he said: "There's always lots of speculation and it's extreme in England, but I can say for certain that he is not an issue for us," before adding that the club were more focused on getting long-term injury-ridden defender Holger Badstuber back to full fitness.
Luiz has been in and out of the Chelsea line up this season and although Bayern have a rather plentiful squad, another centre-back would be ideal. If Guardiola were to get a large wad of cash to spend in this transfer window, it seems likely that he’d throw most of it at the Chelsea tackler.