Fan Stabbed After FA Cup Match Between Liverpool and Oldham

R. Cory SmithSenior Writer IJanuary 5, 2014

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - JANUARY 05: The teams stand for a minutes silence in memory of former Liverpool and Oldham player Wayne Harrison, who died on Christmas day at the age of 46 during the Budweiser FA Cup third round match between Liverpool and Oldham Athletic at Anfield on January 5, 2014 in Liverpool, England.  (Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images)
Clive Mason/Getty Images

Following an FA Cup match between Liverpool and Oldham, tragedy struck as a fan stabbed a 35-year-old man who was believed to be an Oldham supporter, Rob Pattinson of the Liverpool Echo reported.

Get Football News' official Twitter account also reported the incident:

The Reds won the match 2-0, but the scene after the clash is taking away much of the attention. Following the stabbing, the victim signaled toward an ambulance and was taken to a hospital immediately.

Get Football News reports he was treated for a stab wound in a local area hospital:

Thankfully, the victim's injuries are not believed to be life-threatening and initial reports are that he is in stable condition.

Andy O'Connor, the detective chief inspector on the the case, told Pattinson that an investigation is already underway:

I want to reassure people that we are conducting a thorough investigation to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident. This was a nasty assault which has left a man in hospital. The area was very busy with both football fans and passing motorists when the incident took place and I'm confident some people will have seen what happened.

With the investigation still ongoing, there are currently no leads in the case. As Get Football News reports, the Merseyside police are looking for witnesses to come forward in the case:

Jamie Harrison, an Oldham fan who was passing by the scene just after the incident had occurred, gave his account to Pattinson:

The atmosphere had been fine all through the match and just outside the ground. I was in The Flat Iron pub and came out to see it all happening about 500 yards down the street. I saw him getting put into the back of an ambulance with a lot of wadding on his back. There was a helicopter overhead and two or three ambulances around with a lot of police in the area. I feel really lucky - if I had walked out the pub five minutes earlier I would have walked into the trouble and it looked really nasty.

While this is certainly not the first time an incident has occurred after a soccer match, or any other athletic even for that matter, the victim was already having a bad day that got much worse. After watching his team lose to Liverpool, the Oldham fan was subjected to a stabbing that should never happen under any circumstance.

Violence in soccer doesn't exclusively occur off the field. Back in 2009 came one of the nastiest occurrences on a pitch when Elizabeth Lambert of New Mexico College began violently attacking an opponent throughout the match.

As soccer violence continues to occur, Michael Lynch of the Sydney Morning Herald wrote about what can be done to solve violence in sports:

The vast majority of us grow up and grow out of it and become respectable citizens, but the game sustains the damage.

The fact that groups of fans can feel such an emotional connection with their club is great, but if they really are Wanderers or Victory till they die they should realise that causing large scale disturbances, letting flares off and giving those who want to kick the game the chance to do so is simply scoring an own goal.

And the best way to really prove yourself is not to fight in an all-in ruck but to get into a boxing ring, where you have to go head to head with another person armed with nothing but your courage, reflexes, strength and skill.

Further information has not been provided about the incident, but when news breaks it will be added to this story.