Newcastle United Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of December 16
Transfer rumours are growing by the day ahead of January, and at Newcastle United, players from across Europe are being named as potential targets.
Magpies boss Alan Pardew is eyeing “one or two” new faces next month, according to Lee Ryder of the Evening Chronicle, and anticipation on Tyneside is building ahead of possible comings and goings at St. James' Park.
The club have scouted extensively over the past few months, and it is hoped owner Mike Ashley will provide the finances needed to bolster the Toon’s squad—much like he did last winter.
With just over two weeks to go until next month’s window opens, we take a look at the latest round of names being linked with moves to the North East, as well as those who may be moved on by the Geordies.
Last updated: Dec. 19, 11:00 a.m. GMT
A fresh twist in the Wilfried Zaha to Newcastle United story emerged on Thursday, with claims that the Magpies have passed up the chance to sign the winger on loan.
The Manchester United youngster has been linked with a temporary move to St. James’ Park for the past few weeks, but Mark Douglas from The Journal suggests Alan Pardew is no longer considering the player.
Despite making a bid for the 21-year-old last year whilst still on the books of Crystal Palace, Pardew is said to have shifted his attentions to landing a new striker.
David Moyes would ideally like to send the England Under-21 star to another Premier League club to gain vital experience, but it seems Newcastle have removed themselves from the equation.
Charles Reynolds from The Independent had earlier suggested that Zaha was ready to relocate to Tyneside once the transfer window had opened next month.
It wouldn’t be a transfer window without one of Newcastle United’s star players being linked with a move away from Tyneside, and this time a familiar tale has resurfaced.
This time, according to Charles Reynolds at The Independent , Paris Saint-Germain are the Frenchman’s latest suitors, with the Ligue 1 champions keen to take the midfielder back to his home country.
Given Toon owner Mike Ashley’s valuation of the player, which Metro suggested was £25 million, PSG boss Laurent Blanc will have to drastically improve on the Gunners’ summer offer if he's to get his man.
Algerian international Ishak Belfodil is the latest forward to be linked with a move to Newcastle United, with the 21-year-old struggling to make an impact at current club Inter Milan.
The striker only arrived at the San Siro in July following a €7.5 million switch from Parma, but has failed to hold down a regular starting spot with the Nerazzurri and is looking for a fresh challenge.
In an interview with Le Buteur, via Charles Reynolds at The Independent, Belfodil said: “I obviously would like to play more often. The World Cup is coming up and I have to be in good shape.
“That's why I'm considering my options. The transfer market could throw up a solution.”
Should he make the move to Tyneside, Belfodil would become the latest in a long line of French speaking players in the Magpies’ dressing room—a factor that could work in the Toon’s favour.
The Republic of Ireland international, who has also been heavily linked with a move to Everton in recent weeks, is desperate to return to the UK from Spartak Moscow.
McGeady’s family have already relocated back to Britain, and with his contract in the Russian capital due to expire at the end of the current campaign, his homecoming could be imminent.
Speaking to Sky Sports earlier this month, the 27-year-old said: "I have made no secret of the fact that one day I would like to play in England. I would be disappointed if I never get the chance to do that.
"The club have offered me a new one (deal) but I'm not of a mind to sign it. It is in my mind to get back somewhere closer to home. I have told the club that and they are fine with it."
Once Dimitar Berbatov admitted he was ready to quit Fulham during the January transfer window, it was a matter of time before potential suitors began forming an orderly queue.
According to Dave Kidd from Mirror Football, Newcastle United are at the head of that line as the race for the skilful Bulgarian forward gathers momentum.
While a fee of around £2 million has been mentioned, it remains to be seen whether Toon owner Mike Ashley would sanction a move for a player who turns 33 next month.
Fresh from being linked with a loan move away from Newcastle United in January, Steven Taylor has emerged as a target for Championship leaders Queens Park Rangers.
According to Alan Nixon at Mirror Football, Harry Redknapp is keen to take the central defender to Loftus Road for the remainder of the season as he looks to boost his promotion bid.
A move to the Hoops would see Taylor link up with former Magpies teammates Joey Barton, Danny Simpson and Jermaine Jenas.
The 27-year-old has slipped down the pecking order at St. James’ Park after being sent off during Newcastle’s opening day defeat at Manchester City.
Despite a return to fitness, the centre-half hasn’t been seen in a black and white shirt since, and has struggled to make Alan Pardew’s matchday squad in recent weeks.
After becoming frustrated at a lack of opportunities, agent Willie McKay prompted talk of his possible departure in an interview with Sky Sports, despite the promise of a reported new deal from Magpies director of football Joe Kinnear.
A host of Premier League clubs are said to be monitoring the progress of Greek striker Konstantinos Mitroglou, and according to Lee Ryder at the Evening Chronicle, Newcastle United are one of them.
Mitroglou has notched 17 goals in just 15 games for his club in all competitions this term, and has also netted six times for his country in 2013.
The future of Newcastle United striker Papiss Cisse remains in doubt ahead of next month’s transfer window, with the No. 9 yet to register a single strike in the Premier League this season.
However, even though the Senegalese forward is without a top-flight goal since April, manager Alan Pardew is reluctant to let the former Freiburg man leave on the cheap.
In a report by Simon Bird at Mirror Football, the Magpies boss is said to rate Cisse at £7 million, despite the 28-year-old’s drought.
Unless a club comes in with such an offer in January, the international could find himself battling the likes of Loic Remy and Shola Ameobi for first-team football for the foreseeable future.
Anderlecht defender Cheikhou Kouyate is another player on Newcastle United’s radar—but the Toon might have to wait until the summer to get their man.
The Senegal international wants to see out the remainder of this season in Belgium, according to La Derniere Heure via talkSPORT, before choosing his next destination at the end of the current campaign.
Arsenal and Southampton are said to be eyeing the 23-year-old’s situation as well as the Magpies, with the centre-back valued at £7 million by the Pro League champions.
Kouyate joined Anderlecht on a free transfer in 2008 after a wage dispute with former club Brussels. He has three Belgian titles under his belt so far and is keen to make it four before moving to pastures new.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!