Updates for Monday, Dec. 16
The Associated Press (via Fox Sports) has an update after the death of a construction worker at the site of one of the stadiums for the 2014 World Cup:
The G1 Internet portal said the stoppage has brought all work on the stadium to a halt.
The G1 report cited a labor union representing construction workers as saying the stadium's estimated 1,800 workers walked off the job early Monday to protest safety conditions and what they described as pressure to speed up the project.
The BBC had more on the stoppage:
"The rating for safety in the building site is zero. The distribution of new uniforms is very bureaucratic and we're under constant pressure to work," builder Jose Aristoteles de Souza Filho told the Brazilian news website G1.
Union leaders suggested the industrial action could be ended on Tuesday but work at high sectors of the stadium remains banned by a court order.
Prosecutors had demanded the suspension until contracting firm Andrade Gutierrez presented a detailed report on the site's safety conditions.
Working conditions were "unacceptably dangerous" and the contractors could be fined, the prosecutors said in their petition.
A worker helping to construct one of the stadiums for the 2014 World Cup fell to his death on Saturday in Manaus, Brazil.
Reuters provided the details of the accident, via the Chicago Tribune:
Marcleudo de Melo Ferreira, 22, died in a hospital in Manaus around 4 a.m., according to the local forensic center. He fell nearly 35 meters (115 feet) after a cable broke.
Workers had already been killed at three of Brazil's 12 World Cup stadiums. Fatal accidents have occurred in Manaus, Brasilia and most recently in Sao Paulo, where two people died on Nov. 27 after a crane collapsed in the arena that is to host the opening game on June 12.
According to Eurosport, FIFA confirmed the report and provided a statement:
BREAKING: FIFA confirm worker dies after falling off Manaus World Cup stadium roof - REUTERS.— Eurosport.com EN (@EurosportCom_EN) December 14, 2013
FIFA STATEMENT 1/2: "FIFA ... learnt of the death of the worker on Saturday at the Arena Amazonia site with great sadness."— Eurosport.com EN (@EurosportCom_EN) December 14, 2013
After a crane collapsed at the end of November, FIFA released another statement, stating that workers' safety should be a top priority, via RT:
FIFA STATEMENT 2/2: "We would like to send our most sincere condolences to his family, relatives, colleagues and friends."— Eurosport.com EN (@EurosportCom_EN) December 14, 2013
We know the safety of all workers has always been paramount for all the construction companies contracted to build the 12 FIFA World Cup stadiums. The local authorities will fully investigate the reasons behind such a tragic accident.
The latest incident shows that safety is still a problem heading into next summer's event. With every incident being followed by the entire world, it has only become a bigger concern.
Manaus is located deep in the heart of the Amazon jungle, a location that will cause some issues for players during the tournament due to the heat and humidity.
According to John Leicester of the Associated Press, there has been plenty of debate as to why there is a World Cup venue in the city at all. However, Mayor Arthur Virgilio responded by saying, "We want to dazzle the world and we know we can do it."
The venue is set to host four matches at the international tournament, including high-profile encounters between England and Italy, as well as the United States against Portugal. These contests are just two examples of what should be an exciting opening round of the World Cup.
Unfortunately, the entire event has already been troubled by citizen protests and multiple fatal accidents.
Follow Rob Goldberg on Twitter for the latest breaking news and analysis.