Shawne Merriman is a pivotal defensive player for the San Diego Chargers. After missing nearly all of 2008 when he opted to have season-ending knee surgery following Week One to repair two torn knee ligaments, Merriman returns in 2009.
The following are a list of questions I would like to ask the star linebacker at the start of training camp.
- Are you physically ready to take the field?
- What has this last year been like for you rehabbing your knee and being unable to help a Chargers' pass defense that ranked second-to-last in the NFL last season?
- Did you ever speak with members of the defensive unit to either try to pump them up or give them advice?
- If so, what would you tell them?
- Did you ever feel responsible for the defense's downfalls in 2008?
- In hindsight, should you have had your surgery immediately following the 2007 season?
- How eager are you to take the field now?
- Do you feel like since this is your contract year that you have something else to prove?
- What was your initial reaction to hearing the Chargers drafted another inside linebacker, Larry English, with their first-round selection?
- Do you see your knee being a hindrance at all anymore, or should fans expect to see the "Lights Out" dance more than ever?
- Do you have a specific number of sacks you'd like to reach this season?