The back pages of Saturday's newspapers are dominated by World Cup reaction—as the English public tries to work out how their national team might escape a group that includes Italy, Uruguay and Costa Rica.
There is still plenty of club news to sift through, however, although more about which players might be set for longer stays at their current club than rumours of potential big-money transfers.
Luis Suarez and Arsene Wenger could be in for some good news in the coming weeks, it seems—while Manchester United are keeping tabs on another midfield option.
Read on for the best of the gossip from Saturday's newspapers.
The Daily Mirror believes Luis Suarez will be offered a lucrative new long-term contract to remain at Liverpool sometime in the New Year.
Following his stellar display against Norwich, in which he scored four goals, that capped a blistering start to the new season, Mirror reporter David Maddock writes that the club are prepared to make him one of the highest paid players in the league to ensure his long-term loyalty.
Suarez has long been linked with the likes of Arsenal and Real Madrid, although his current contract at Anfield does not expire until the summer of 2016.
Liverpool are ready to make Luis Suarez one of the Premier League’s top earners to secure his long-term Anfield future.
Manager Brendan Rodgers has fought ‘tooth and nail’ to keep the world class striker at the Reds, and now his American bosses will back that up with a massive new contract offer.
They will smash their own pay structure for Suarez and attempt to rival the monied millions of the likes of Manchester City and Chelsea.
That would put him up alongside earners such as Yaya Toure, Sergio Ageuro and Eden Hazard, with a source at the Merseyside club suggesting the plan is to offer him an ‘amazing deal’.
The Uruguayan—drawn on Friday to face England in next year's World Cup—still has two and a half years remaining on his current deal.
But Rodgers revealed this week that Liverpool want to open talks to extend the agreement before the end of the season.
Arsene Wenger is close to putting pen to paper on a new contract with Arsenal worth £24 million, according to The Times (subscription required).
Matt Dickinson reports that contract negotiations have been going on for a number of months now, and the two sides are close to reaching an agreement.
Arsène Wenger is close to agreeing a new contract with Arsenal that would take his tenure as manager into a third decade. Talks over a new three-year deal, worth £24 million, have been taking place since October and the North London club are increasingly confident he will sign next month.
Wenger has yet publicly to commit himself to Arsenal beyond his existing contract, which expires at the end of the season, but has made it clear to his staff and senior players that he is planning for the long term.
The club have offered a three-year contract worth £8 million a year, which would make him the second highest-paid manager in the Barclays Premier League, after José Mourinho, and take his length of service to 21 years.
Meanwhile, Wenger has hit out against rules that prevent players on loan playing against their parent club. Citing the example of Romelu Lukaku—who his Arsenal side will face on Saturday, but who was unable to face Chelsea earlier in the season—Wenger told the Daily Mail:
Once you are on loan, it should be a transfer—you play for the club. You cannot play for the club only in 19 games and not against another club.
If you ask me my opinion, I’m not against loans. But you should be capable to play against everybody.
Dundee United's prodigy Ryan Gauld has been warned not to leave the Scottish side for a Premier League giant in the near future, because it might harm his development.
Scottish Football Association director Mark Wotte told Metro that Gauld, who has reportedly been scouted by Arsenal, Manchester City, Liverpool and many other top sides, should think twice before making a big-money move to a new club.
I would prefer him to stay in Scotland, play his games here, before getting a recognised move to an English club.
I’ve seen some of the clubs he’s been linked with—it’s ridiculous.
He doesn’t have to leave Scotland to develop. That’s the most important statement I want to make. He doesn’t have to move.
However, the newspaper claims that Dundee United may need the money from the sale, and could be forced to let their prized asset go if they get an offer in the region of £6 million.
Manchester United have opened contract talks with Brazilian midfielder Everton Ribeiro, according to a report in Metro.
The newspaper cites quotes from the player's agent, who has claimed that he has already held talks with the Old Trafford hierarchy.
Metro's Jamie Sanderson reports agent Robson Ferreira saying:
Manchester United want him. David Moyes has been impressed. I’ve already been to England and talked personally with them.
In United’s opinion, he is the complete midfielder.
United, whose need for another midfield option is something of an open secret, would need around £15m to prise the player away from Cruzeiro in January—although the club themselves have expressed a reluctance to sell in recent weeks.
The Daily Express claims Manchester United, Chelsea and Everton are keeping tabs on Rennes' Tiemoue Bakayoko and Saint Etienne's Faouzi Ghoulam, after scouting the duo in a match between the two clubs last week.
Lukas Fabianski could leave Arsenal for Schalke in the summer, reports the Daily Mirror.
Uwe Rosler has left Brentford in order to take up the vacant manager's role at Wigan, says the Daily Mail.
The same paper reports that Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas has made a strident defence of Erik Lamela, after the winger's subdued start to life in the Premier League.