For the second time in a span of weeks, wide receiver Rahshead Johnson has decided to cancel his commitment to Washington. According to Cougfan.com, the 4-star prospect pulled his pledge Monday after former Huskies coach Steve Sarkisian accepted the head job at USC.
Johnson, who previously backed off his commitment in November before reestablishing a verbal pact with the program, confirmed his decommitment during a conversation with Scout.com writer Greg Biggins (subscription required).
"This time it’s final, I’m no longer considering Washington," he told Scout.com. "With Sark gone, I’m gone."
Johnson's definitive departure from the Huskies' 2014 class reopens his recruitment. The 5'11", 165-pound playmaker, who stars at Cabrillo High School (Long Beach, Calif.), will have several options to choose from.
He holds offers from Wisconsin, Arizona State, Nebraska, Arizona, Utah and Washington State. Considering his established relationship with Sarkisian, it's fair to wonder whether USC will extend an offer.
“That would be big, I would love that,” Johnson told Scout.com. “I really think USC could offer and if they do, I’m definitely going to consider them."
Where will 4-star WR Rahshead Johnson play college football?
Johnson initially committed to Washington in June 2012, prior to his junior season. His recruitment process with the Huskies eventually hit a rough patch, leading to a late-November decommitment.
Johnson's previous issue with the program centered around playing time concerns.
“I was pretty much confused about whether I was gonna play or not (at Washington), so that’s why I decommitted," Johnson told Gazettes. "But after that the coaches called me and told me not to worry about not playing.”
He may have been on board with Washington while Sarkisian was at the helm, but Johnson won't play in Husky Stadium unless he's on the visiting team. Washington is left with seven commits in its current class.