Everton Ribeiro Yet to Receive Manchester United Offer, Claim Cruzeiro

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Everton Ribeiro Yet to Receive Manchester United Offer, Claim Cruzeiro
Alex Livesey/Getty Images

Manchester United are yet to make an approach for Everton Ribeiro, but are unlikely to land the Brazilian star for cheap, according to Cruzeiro director of football Alexandre Mattos.

A figure of around £7 million had been touted as enough to capture the Brazilian's signature, but Mattos has poured scorn on the suggestion, according to Sky Sports:

There are no offers, just speculation.

Everton Ribeiro said he dreams of playing for Manchester United, then people started talking, and they said he would cost €8million (£6.7m) - that makes no sense.

We turned down a €10million (£8.3m) offer [from the Middle East] for the percentage we own and that happened halfway through the season.

Nick Lustig of the Daily Star previously reported the difficult situation United would find themselves in if they opted to sign the 24-year-old, who is 60 percent owned by Cruzeiro, with the other 40 percent belonging to a third party.

Premier League clubs are not allowed to sign players with such deals, suggesting the English champions would have a lot of work to do in order to secure Ribeiro's services.

Mattos adds to this assessment by indicating no player will leave Belo Horizonte on the cheap, suggesting Ribeiro may only depart for a lofted sum, per Sky Sports' report:

Cruzeiro don't want to let any player go. On the contrary, we want to bring in more players and that's not me talking, the president said that.

Of course we are responsible, and if an absurd offer for Everton Ribeiro or any other player comes, we have to sell.

It's clear United will be made to sweat if they seriously wish to land the player's signature. The creative force was a key figure in Cruzeiro's run to this year's Brazilian title, scoring seven and providing 11 assists across 34 appearances, per WhoScored.

Is Everton Ribeiro worth over £7 million?

Submit Vote vote to see results

Although it would come as no surprise if a Middle Eastern club bid for the player, such an attempt is yet to be reported separately.

Ribeiro is sure to attract the attention of many after his recent performances, but David Moyes will be wary of getting ripped off—especially after paying £27.5 million for Marouane Fellaini.

The versatile forward previously told Brazilian television it would be a "dream" to join the Old Trafford club, per Lustig's report, indicating the player's desire may provide leverage for a move if an official bid is lodged.

 

Load More Stories

Follow B/R on Facebook

Out of Bounds

World Football

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.