Is this the year the Dallas Cowboys win their first playoff game since December 28, 1996? Lets face it, most analysts don't have the Cowboys in their top ten. Most fans are expecting a season closer to 9-7 than 13-3.
Is it possible for them to make the playoffs? The short answer is, yes. It is definitely possible, but their are players that need to step up before a playoff win is going to become a reality.
1. Tony Romo–Is he committed enough to keep a team together through an entire season and deep into the playoffs? This is definitely a beautiful list of girl friends to have: Sofia Bush, Carrie Underwood, and Jessica Simpson. Did I miss any? Having a girl friend isn't a distraction, taking a girlfriend to Mexico between games is a big question mark in his decision making ability. Signing up for a golf tournament in May is just another red flag. More than one fan is asking, is Stephen McGee from Texas A&M, Tony's replacement?
2. Roy Williams–Can he step up and be the guy? The Cowboys gave up a first, a third and sixth–round pick in 2009, then a seventh–round pick in 2010 for his services. This is a high dollar price for a player low on totals.
3. Terrell Owens–Six time Pro-Bowl selection given an unconditional release March 4, 2009. While he is one of the most exciting receivers in the league, he isn't worth the friction and turmoil his antics cause. Three of the most popular and competitive teams have given him more than a fair shake, three times he has turned out to be more trouble than he is worth. Good luck in Siberia, here's a tip, buy a coat. This move truly was addition by subtraction.
4. Pac Man Jones–Too bad his talent ran short. I was expecting him to be worth the baby sitting fees, I was wrong. I have to give Jerry Jones credit for going to bat with the league and giving Pac Man a second chance. Everyone expected him to be a dominate player on the field, everyone was wrong.
5. DeMarcus Ware–Taken with the eleventh overall pick on 2005 and a Pro-Bowl player two years running. Continued consistent play is definitely required. Can we dream about a 20 sack season? We can dream, but with his talent, dreams sometimes come true.
So, if Tony Romo stays healthy and keeps his focus for 16 games, if Roy Williams justifies his Kings Ransom expense, if DeMarcus Ware gets 20 sacks, if the elimination of Owens and Jones prevents a late season collapse; then the Cowboys are closer to 13–3 then 9–7.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!