Chelsea logoChelsea

Chelsea Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of November 25

Alex LivieFeatured ColumnistNovember 25, 2013

Chelsea Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of November 25

1 of 15

    Clive Rose/Getty Images

    Winter has firmly set in. That means January is on the horizon, and with that comes the transfer window.

    Clubs are starting to make plans for when the window opens, and the speculation is hotting up as a consequence.

    Here is your weekly dose of transfer rumours and stories surrounding Chelsea. Be sure to check back each day for further developments.

     

    —LATEST UPDATE: Sunday, December  1—

Red Bulls in Hunt for Cole

2 of 15

    Clive Rose/Getty Images

    Ashley Cole has been a Chelsea player since 2006, but his time at Stamford Bridge could be drawing to a close.

    The People’s Dave Kidd has made the claim that the England full-back is considering a move to MLS side New York Red Bulls.

    Kidd claims the Red Bulls want Cole in January and have room in their squad for a marquee signing.

    Mourinho gave Cole a vote of confidence on Friday, but Kidd claims their relationship is still strained.

    There is talk that Chelsea are lining up Luke Shaw as a replacement and the Express' Luke Fissler claims the Blues are readying a £30 million bid for the Southampton defender.

Ba and Luiz Out, Ramos in at Chelsea?

3 of 15

    Demba Ba
    Demba BaBryn Lennon/Getty Images

    There’s talk of players coming in and out Chelsea in the Saturday papers.

    One player being linked with the Stamford Bridge exit door, despite Mourinho saying no strikers would be sold in January, is Demba Ba.

    The forward has made little impression on the Chelsea side since Mourinho’s summer return to the club, and the Sun’s (subscription) Andrew Dillon says West Ham are plotting a move in January.

    Per Dillon’s piece, West Ham co-owner David Sullivan has made a personal appeal to Ba to return to a club he played for earlier in his career.

    Another player potentially heading out of the Stamford Bridge, according to the Star’s Nick Lustig, is David Luiz.

    Lustig claims the Blues are ready to let the defender leave for Barcelona in January.

    If Luiz leaves, who will replace him?

    That question could well be answered by the Mirror’s John Cross who claims Chelsea are ready to rival Manchester City for Real Madrid centre-back Sergio Ramos.

    Cross suggests Ramos is ready to move on after failing to secure a bumper new contract following the arrival of Gareth Bale

     

     

     

Mourinho Denies Martinez Move Talk

4 of 15

    EuroFootball/Getty Images

    Chelsea have been strongly linked with strikers ahead of the January transfer window.

    Talk has swirled as to the prospect of a bid for Porto’s Jackson Martinez. It was reported earlier this week by the Express’ Ben Jefferson that the player’s agent had travelled to London for talks.

    If Martinez’s agent was in London, he certainly wasn’t talking to Mourinho.

    Speaking on Sky Sports News on Friday, Mourinho said:

    It’s not true what I read a couple of days ago that [Martinez's] agent was in London and meeting with me or Chelsea directors—not true at all.

    In the January market we are not going to buy any strikers. We are going to the end of the season with Fernando (Torres), Samuel (Eto’o) and Demba (Ba). Nobody goes in and nobody goes out.

Mourinho Blows out Fabio Coentrao Loan Link

5 of 15

    Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno/Getty Images

    It seems fairly clear Chelsea are seeking a long-term replacement for Ashley Cole, given the number of full-backs they have been linked with of late.

    Real Madrid’s Fabio Coentrao was added to that list on Friday morning, as the Mail’s Matt Barlow suggested Chelsea were plotting a loan raid on Real Madrid.

    However, Barlow’s piece, which was tagged as exclusive, has been shot down by Mourinho.

    Speaking on Sky Sports News on Friday afternoon, Mourinho said: "I don’t want Portuguese players. I always have them and in this moment it’s enough … we don’t need [Coentrao]."

Blues Ready to Battle for Rakitic

6 of 15

    David Ramos/Getty Images

    It’s not just defenders Mourinho is targeting, as he has his sights trained on Sevilla midfielder Ivan Rakitic, reports the Mirror’s Darren Lewis.

    Sevilla are keen to tie the Croatian to a new deal, but Lewis suggests the midfielder has had his head turned by talk of a move to the Premier League.

    Lewis says Chelsea are keen, but will face competition from Liverpool and Manchester United for the midfielder.

    The Sun (subscription) is reporting that Mohamed Salah, who helped topple the Blues in the Champions League, is keen on a move to Stamford Bridge.

     

Three-Way Fight for Luke Shaw

7 of 15

    Paul Gilham/Getty Images

    Chelsea are set to face competition from Tottenham and Manchester United in the battle for Southampton’s Luke Shaw.

    The Mail’s John Drayton has filed a piece claiming Tottenham “are confident” they are leading the chase for the defender.

    Per Drayton’s piece, it is likely to be a lengthy battle to secure Shaw’s signature as he says Saints are not willing to sell the teenager in January and want a fee in the region of £30 million.

Ryan Bertrand on Liverpool's Radar

8 of 15

    Mike Hewitt/Getty Images

    It’s not all about players arriving at Chelsea, as the Daily Telegraph’s John Percy and Jason Burt are reporting that Liverpool have trained their sights on Ryan Bertrand.

    The Reds are seeking left-back cover for the injured Jose Enrique, and Wilson says Bertrand is a target.

    The Telegraph scribes suggest Reds boss Brendan Rodgers is ready to spend as much as £8 million to bag the defender in January.

Chelsea in Hunt for £25 Million Alberto Moreno

9 of 15

    Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno/Getty Images

    Sevilla full-back Alberto Moreno is the subject of a transfer battle between Chelsea and Manchester United, according to the Mail’s David Kent.

    Kent suggests Chelsea view the defender as a long-term successor to Ashley Cole and sent scout Mick Doherty to watch the 21-year-old in action recently.

    Chelsea could face competition from David Moyes’ United, who are seeking a replacement for Patrice Evra, while it would take £25 million to trigger Moreno’s release clause.

     

Blues and Baggies in Battle over Isaiah Brown

10 of 15

    Jamie McDonald/Getty Images

    Chelsea are heading for a battle with West Bromwich Albion over striker Isaiah Brown, reports the Telegraph’s John Percy.

    The Blues signed Brown in the summer, but Percy reports that the fee was never agreed.

    Percy says West Brom are demanding £1.2 million for the England Under-17 international, which is some way in excess of Chelsea’s opening gambit of £350,000.

    If the two clubs fail to thrash out a fee, it will be settled at a Premier League tribunal.

Martinez Agent in London for Talks

11 of 15

    EuroFootball/Getty Images

    The Jackson Martinez talk is gathering pace.

    A matter of hours after it was reported, per Here Is The City, that Barcelona had posted scouts at a Porto game to watch the striker, the Express’ Ben Jefferson is claiming the player’s agent has flown to London to thrash out a deal.

    Jefferson’s piece cites a report from Portuguese daily A Bola which claims the player’s agent Henry Pompeo has travelled to London to talk with the Blues.

No Playing Guarantees for Juan Mata

12 of 15

    Julian Finney/Getty Images

    Doubts continue to swirl over the future of Juan Mata, and Mourinho has confirmed the midfielder is likely to struggle for playing time.

    Eden Hazard and Oscar remain Mourinho’s preferred options for the roles behind the striker, and that is unlikely to change.

    Simon Johnson carries quotes from Mourinho and in his piece, the Evening Standard writer says “The future of Juan Mata at Chelsea is looking bleak.”

    Per Johnson’s piece, Mourinho said:

    There is one thing that is obvious, which is I can't change the rules and I can't start the match with 12, 13 or 14. I'd love that because many people deserve to play and Juan is one who deserves to play because of the way he works, behaves, the way we see him every day.

    But if I play him and I don't play (Eden) Hazard or Oscar, you are asking me about Hazard or Oscar in this moment.

    It's a consequence of the squad we have where, for these three positions behind the striker, we have so many options.

    It's hard for me. I don't have a special pleasure leaving players out. I enjoy playing them and making them happy, but there's nothing I can do.

     

Barcelona Enter Martinez Race

13 of 15

    EuroFootball/Getty Images

    Chelsea could face competition from Barcelona for Porto striker Jackson Martinez.

    Here Is the City has picked up on a report from Spanish daily Sport which claims Barcelona sent scouts to watch the forward at the weekend.

    The Barca scouts will have seen Martinez hit the target in 1-1 draw with Nacional.

    As reported by the Star’s Nick Lustig earlier in November, Martinez is a target for Blues boss Mourinho.

     

Werder Bremen Eyeing Kevin De Bruyne Loan

14 of 15

    Dean Mouhtaropoulos/Getty Images

    Kevin De Bruyne’s future at Chelsea remains in the balance, and Werder Bremen have confirmed they are interested in securing the Belgian on loan in January.

    The winger has made little impression on the Chelsea side since Jose Mourinho took charge.

    De Bruyne is eager to play in a bid to ensure he remains sharp ahead of next summer’s World Cup.

    Werder, who had De Bruyne on loan last season, are interested and waiting on the green light from Chelsea, reports Football365.

    The Bundesliga club’s general manager, Thomas Eichin, confirmed their interest in an interview with Kreiszeitung Syke, per Football365:

    His (Kevin de Bruyne's) player agent is aware of our interest in his services. I will be getting to know if there is a chance to re-sign Kevin de Bruyne on loan for our club.

    If this is possible, we will have to wait and see if such a deal can be really worked out.

    Everyone at Werder Bremen knows all about the quality of Kevin de Bruyne.

Atletico Madrid and Juventus Set Sights on Juan Mata

15 of 15

    Mike Hewitt/Getty Images

    Mata is a transfer target for Atletico Madrid and Juventus, reports Charles Perrin of the Express.

    Mata, Chelsea’s player of the year for the past two seasons, has slipped down the pecking order under Jose Mourinho.

    The Chelsea boss has made it clear he sees Oscar as his midfield playmaker, which has left Mata on the periphery.

    With the January window looming, clubs are eyeing up potential targets, and Perrin suggests Mata may have options in Spain and Italy:

    Reports suggest that Mata will speak to Jose Mourinho and technical director Michael Emenalo to see whether he fits in their long-term plans.

    It is also believed that Mata is growing increasingly anxious that his lack of first-team opportunities could damage his chances of making the World Cup next summer.

Where can I comment?

Stay on your game

Latest news, insights, and forecasts on your teams across leagues.

Choose Teams
Get it on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

Real-time news for your teams right on your mobile device.

Download
Copyright © 2017 Bleacher Report, Inc. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved. BleacherReport.com is part of Bleacher Report – Turner Sports Network, part of the Turner Sports and Entertainment Network. Certain photos copyright © 2017 Getty Images. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of Getty Images is strictly prohibited. AdChoices