Eight-time MLB All-Star Carlos Beltran is a free agent after playing the past two seasons for the St. Louis Cardinals, and there is already buzz about the outfielder heading to a different club.
Updates from Thursday, Dec. 5
Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports confirms the Royals are still pursuing Beltran despite their recent acquisition:
#Royals’ acquisition of Aoki does not change anything in their pursuit of Beltran. They still want him.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 5, 2013
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports previously reported the Royals could be the favorites for Beltran's services, while the Red Sox and Yankees likely won't make an offer to the veteran's liking:
The Yankees have been painted as a Beltran favorite in some places, but one person involved in those talks on Wednesday characterized the Yankees' chances as "iffy" to win Beltran after adding Jacoby Ellsbury for $153 million, especially considering their interest in improving their decimated rotation while keeping a door open for their own free-agent star Robinson Cano.
There's no evidence the Yankees or the Red Sox, who succeeded to the point of a World Series championship with shorter deals, will come off two years, according to sources. That is a year or two shy of Beltran's desired contract length following his string of three big and healthy seasons.
While the Royals haven't made an official "offer," they are said willing to go three years for Beltran, who came up with Kansas City and is said by people close to him to have the Royals, along with Yankees and Rangers, very high on his list of desired locales.
Rosenthal later added:
Sources: #Royals have not offered Beltran $48 million for three years. To get to that level, ownership likely would need to intervene.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 6, 2013