Football is a way of life in our family. You live and breath it. I got together with two of the Dallas Cowboy's biggest fans, my father and brother, and we reviewed Dallas' history. Together we have come up with what we feel are the Top 10 players of all time for this legendary team. These are in no particular order:
- Bob Lilly - played 14 years and only missed 1 game. First draft pick ever for the Cowboys. Made the All-Pro Team 7 times and played in 11 Pro All-Star games. Has his name inscribed above Texas Stadium, in the Ring of Honor. Inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1980. Named by the NFL to the75th Anniversary All-Time team in 1994.
- Roger Staubach - Known as "Roger the Dodger", he led the Cowboys to 2 Super Bowl wins. He was also a Hall of Famer passer for the Cowboys from 1969 to 1979. Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1985.
- Demarcus Ware - Although new to the team, Ware has made an impact on the defensive line. Known as one of the most dominating defensive players in the league. One, of an NFL record 13 Cowboys, in the Pro Bowl.
- Emmitt Smith - All time NFL rushing yards and rushing touchdown leader. 1990 Rookie of the Year and Superbowl XXVIII MVP. Cowboys Ring of Honor Inductee in 2005. Also on a side note: winner of Dancing with the Stars during his season. Seems everything he touches turns to gold.
- Michael Irvin - Known as one of "the triplets" along side Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith. Known as the "playmaker". Inducted into the Football Hall of Fame in 2007.
- Troy Aikman - Known as the head of "the triplets", Aikman led the Cowboys to three Super Bowl wins and was MVP of Super Bowl XXVII. Known as on of the most superior passing QB's.
- Chuck Howley - Came to the Cowboys in 1961 after being traded by the Bears. Went on to become one of the greatest outside linebackers in Cowboys history and the only player to win Super Bowl MVP honors while on the losing team.
- Ed "Too Tall" Jones - Chosen by the Cowboys as the first overall draft pick in 1974. Earned 3 Pro Bowl honors and also led the Cowboys to 10 playoffs. In 15 seasons with the Cowboys, Jones never missed a game, playing in 232 consecutive games. One of the most dominant defensive players of his time.
- Daryl "The Moose" Johnston - Drafted in 1989 by the Cowboys. Considered the premier blocking fullback. Two time Pro Bowler. Helped Dallas achieve 3 Super Bowl victories and helped Dallas to be named "Team of the Decade".
- Drew Pearson - Joined the Cowboys in 1973. Considered one of the greatest wide receivers and name as one of the Top 20 Pro Football All-Time Wide Receivers. Nominated in 1980 by the Cowboys as NFL Man of the Year.
It's evident that the Dallas Cowboys have had some of the NFL's greatest players on their team. With that many outstanding players since joining the NFL, it makes you wonder what future champions Dallas will spawn.