Aldon Smith Activated by 49ers from NFI List
Updates from Thursday, Nov. 14
Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee has an update from 49ers defensive coordinator Vic Fangio on Aldon Smith's expected involvement this weekend:
Vic Fangio on Aldon Smith: "He'll play a lot this week," Also said "chances are good" Eric Reid plays but that it rests on concussion prtcl.— Matt Barrows (@mattbarrows) November 14, 2013
From Tim Kawakami of the Mercury News:
Manningham and Aldon Smith are officially ACTIVE.— Tim Kawakami (@timkawakami) November 10, 2013
From the 49ers' official Twitter feed:
ESPN's Bill Williamson added:
(Vic) Fangio said Smith was predictably looked a bit rusty in practice this week, but he attributed that to being away from the game for six weeks. Fangio said he expects Smith to knock off the rust quickly.
Smith participated in his first full practice Wednesday since he left the club Sept. 23. Smith said Tuesday the idea of playing Sunday was crossing his mind. On Wednesday, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said it would be a football decision. Harbaugh did say Smith looked like he is ready.
Jim Harbaugh said the team is taking things one step at a time, per 49ers.com's Taylor Price:
I think the prudent thing to do is look at it day-to-day and have a goal of having a great day. He’s been taking that approach, really over the last five weeks. And it’s served him well and he’s quite a bit of progress.
It sounds like he won't get the full starter reps when he returns according to the NFL Media account:
Our @MikeSilver on Aldon Smith: He knows he'll have to earn his spot back. He'll not return in his fmr roll. Expect him to be a spot player— NFL Media PR (@InsideNFLMedia) October 31, 2013
2013 has been a year to forget so far for Smith.
Being activated by the team follows his surrender to authorities Tuesday night on felony weapons charges and misdemeanor DUI and drug charges. Smith immediately made bail, per Tony Kovaleski and David Paredes of NBC Bay Area:
According to the source, Smith turned himself in at 6:51 p.m., and then bailed out at $75,000.
Self-surrendering was part of the agreement that Smith made with Santa Clara County District Attorney Jeff Rosen when he was charged with possessing illegal assault weapons on Oct. 9. Smith was in rehab at the time because of his September DUI arrest in San Jose.
The agreement was that Smith would turn himself in by the end of the month.
The weapons charges stem from a June 2012 house party hosted by the 24-year-old Smith where he was stabbed and two others were shot, and deputies later found a cache of assault rifles, magazines and ammunition.
Smith played in San Francisco's first three games of this season, picking up 18 total tackles and 4.5 sacks.
Getting a pass-rusher like Smith back would be huge for a 49ers defense that ranks just 22nd in team sacks. In 2011 and 2012, the third-year star had a combined 33.5 sacks and is already regarded as one of the premier rushers in the league.
San Francisco has a bye in Week 9, so that leaves more time for Smith's situation to get sorted out. Just because he's been activated doesn't mean he'll immediately get back on the field.
He could be facing a suspension from the league; however, Commissioner Roger Goodell has said that Smith entering rehab will be looked upon favorably when the league contemplates any possible punishment, per ESPN.com's Bill Williamson.
Until then, the 49ers will just be happy that one of their best defensive players is that much closer to suiting up.
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?