A Detailed Account of Gilman's Nearly Perfect Season

Sam SnyderCorrespondent IMay 23, 2009

The top ranked Gilman Greyhounds captured the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association championship title, and most likely the No. 1 USA Ranking by cruising to a 13-7 dominating win over third ranked (No. 3 USA) Calvert Hall.

The previous year, the Greyhounds were upset by Loyola Blakefield, 12-11, and spoiled there undefeated regular season (much like the NE Patriots).

By winning the title, they redeemed themselves by beating Loyola in the semi-finals, and winning the championship. But their season was not perfect, in a stroke of irony, they finished with the same 18-1 record as they had in 2008.

Their one loss was to the fourth ranked Boys Latin Lakers (No. 14 USA) on a hot sunny spring Friday. Being only a block apart from each other, 3,000 people packed into Smith Field at Boys Latin.

Gilman was the top ranked favorite, with a stacked roster full of D1 recruits and a perfect 10-0 record, 6-0 in the MIAA. Boys Latin boasted the MIAA's top attack unit, as well as the top face-off man. They entered with an 11-2 record, 4-2 in the MIAA

The Lakers opened the game with a goal from from Villanova-bound attackman Jack Rice, fed by junior Pat Foster (UNC). But the Greyhounds responded with a goal from senior Jack Doyle (Harvard). BL took the lead again with a goal from junior Kevin O'Neill. The lead dissipated with a goal from senior Marcus Holman (UNC).

Despite a three straight save effort from BL goalie Patrick Jennings, a failed clear came back to bite them when Doyle intercepted a clear and passed to Paul Danko, who dumped it in the cage.

The goals continued when a late defensive slide allowed one more score from Marcus Holman. Greyhound junior Connor Doyle bounced a shot from a pass from brother Jack Doyle, which trickled past the line when Jennings couldn't control the ball after making the initial save.

Pat Foster responded with an unassisted goal to make the score 5-3. The Lakers rallied again with another goal from Jack Rice(Villanova) off a feed from BL sophomore Wells Stanwick (Steele Stankwick's brother). At the end of the 1st quarter, Gilman was in cruise control with a 5-4 lead.

They would pick up right where they left off with an unassisted goal from senior Greg McBride (UNC). But the momentum switched drastically. What started off with a quick goal turned into the worst quarter of lacrosse Gilman played all season.

Off of the unsuing face-off, junior F/O middie R.G. Keenan (UNC)won the draw and passed it to sophomore long-stick middie Joe Weidner. Weidner bounced a pass to Jack Rice, who shot it into the top-shelf to complete his hat trick. This was the first of six unanswered goals.

After another face-off win, Pat Foster passed the ball to junior Ryan Jarvis, who turned around a shot the ball into the goal before being rocked by Gilman defensman Harry Prevas(UVA).

Kevin O'Neill continued the rally with an unassisted goal. Another unassisted goal from senior Christian Walsh(Duke) would out the Lakers in command with a two goal lead.

On the next face-off, Keenan popped the ball out in front of him, scooped up the ball, and ran down and scored making continuing the second quarter rally. Pat Foster would score unassisted to make the halftime score 10-6 in favor of the host Lakers.

Beginning in the third quarter, the Greyhounds would make there return, and turn a domination into a nail biter, or almost. Gilman junior Duncan Hutchins would bring the score to 10-7 of of an assist from Marcus Holman. Jack Doyle's second goal would follow, unassisted.

The Laker's responded with a score from Marcellus Preston of a pass from Christian Walsh. But the Greyhounds put up another goal with Greg Mcbride score from Conor Doyle, making the score 11-9. Laker goalie Patrick Jennings made a crucial point blank save against Davey Emala. But it wouldn't stop a 2 goal game tying rally in the fourth quarter.

It started with a goal from Paul Danko, assisted by Davey Emala(Georgetown). Followed by an unassisted goal from Marcus Holman to ty it up. The Lakers quelled the comeback off of a groundball confusion and win.

After scooping up the ground ball sophomore Wells Stanwick passed the ball to Pat Foster who drove towards the goal. Foster got under Prevas and scored unassisted. Foster also put the last nail in the coffin off of a pass from senior midfielder Brad Weiss (Georgetown).

Jack Doyle would score an unassisted goal to make it 13-12, but with only four seconds remaining, it was null and void.

Boy's Latin had pulled off the biggest upset in the MIAA and quite possibly the entire country. However, the Lakers one the battle, but the war(championship) ended up going to the Greyhounds.




BL: Patrick Foster 4, Jack Rice 3, Kevin O'Neil 2, Christian Walsh, Ryan Jarvis, Marcellus Preston, R.G. Keenan

Gilman: Marcus Holman 3, Jack Doyle 3, Paul Danko 2, Greg McBride 2, Duncan Hutchins, Conor Doyle


BL: Stanwick 2, Walsh, Weidner, Foster, Weiss

Gilman: Holman 3, C. Doyle, J. Doyle, McBride, Emala


Gilman: Conor McGee 14

BL: Patrick Jennings 23