Selecao Season Recap, Player Of The Season and Dunga's Latest Call Ups.
The Selecao, five times World Cup winners never mind the number of Continental titles and other trophies they've comes across is Undoubtably Footballs most succesful team and catalyst of entertainment.
At any occasion where the Cannarinha's take the field a quality performance of great technique and talent is always expected or else the criticism that follows might tarnish a players reputation or alter ego for the rest of his footballing career as Inter's Adriano has had to learn earlier on this year.
Any team that boast so many famous names in the footballing world including Ronaldinho, Kaka, Werder Bremen's Diego, Alexandre Pato & Robinho would have to be tipped as heavy favorites to lift the upcoming 2010 Mondial coming up next year in South Africa.
So as another Succesful but experimenting campaing closes Dunga's men heading into the Confederations Cup in June, join me in determining who has been the teams Player of the Season after i nominate five worthy candidates.
1) Julio Cesar: Inter's Goalkeeper has been incredible for Club and Country this year. One of the few Players I'd day say has been Worthy of an Accolade like the Golden Ball or Fifa World Player of the Year this Campaign. when it comes to the Selecao his incredible performances against sides like Italy 2-0, Ecuador 1-1 (in Quito), and Ireland 1-0, Chile 3-0, Peru 1-1 coupled with the many minutes he went without conceding a goal beforehand speaks Volumes.
2) Robinho: Many of you might want to argue my choosing of Robson for the Second Place; given his somewhat lacklustre form for the Citizens this year.. but it is almost impossible to say that the small sized forward hasn't elevated his game for Brazil this year. just to prove how good he's been i cant even remember the last time he had a bad game for Brazil. Ok, i do he wasn't his best against Peru in Porto Alegre but you get the gist. in a year in which he had to prove his Selecao credentials ahead of the World Cup he did just that by chipping in many Assist & Goals. many gems that seem irreplaceable and are great highlight reels on Youtube are his goals against Ireland, that pure class Strike againts Italy and a Golazo of the highest order that arrived away at the peril of Venezuela. if you're still unconvinced he was great this year you have got something against him.
3) Elano: A player in which Dunga seems to have installed full confidence has done nothing wrong to eclipse his coaches faith in him. always a hard worker and Wonderful performer for Brazil the Man City man despite his bench Status in the Prem has come of age for Brazil becoming a great partner alongside Kaka or Ronaldinho and surprisingly an alternative Goal scorer with strikes against Elite opposition like Portugal and Italy. he is also a masterclass on Dead Ball situations which is always a great Quality to have as a Selecao player.
4) Maicon: See Julio Cesar and just add the praise to This tireless RB please. ok im joking but Seriously where would Inter or Brazil be without Maicon, great defender and Solid Provider of the ball. and can score as well. also it must be said that he keeps Barcelona's Dani Alves on the bench; need i say more?
5) Kaka: Although it hasnt been one of his better years with the Selecao the Milan boy seems to have finally won the battle againts Ronaldinho for the number 10 and playmaking, and who dares to say he doesnt deserve it. this has been a campaign hampered by Injuries but that hasnt stopped him from Scoring incredible strikes againts Ecuador, Venezuela and Peru. it pains me to imagine what could of been had he been fit.
So these are my choices for player of the Season.. feel free to Rant, Agree, Disagree name your own. I'll be more welcome to exchange my thoughts with you.
Short Season Recap:
This Season has been one of ups and downs. But i feel its been Successful they are sitting real comfortable in the Qualifiers currently; haven't lost to Ecuador in Quito 6:1 like Maradona & his boys did in Bolivia (Sorry, I couldn't contain myself, go ahead blame it on the Altitude) lost to Venezuela in a friendly but it must be noted that we thrashed them in the Qualifiers 4-0; Same goes for Mexico who beat us 2-0 in the Copa America but got defeated 3-1 in Boston and of course we managed to gun down the World Champions whilst Dumping Portugal 6-1. for a good overall Performance check out Fabiano's outing against Chile in the Qualifiers.. That's fairly Successful when you look back at it don't you think?
Squad Call ups And Confederations Cup Preview:
So its time for the Confederations Cup again and Frankly i still remember 2005 like it was yesterday. Aah good times it was, an Adriano at his best, Ronaldinho & Kaka in full flight and a Robinho just breaking out unto the scene. who can forget the games against Greece, Germany and that 4-1 Argentina final? I couldn't even if i tried and since we are the holders lets pray Dunga takes this competition seriously, Uses it as an opportunity to assess his players qualities, fields some young guns like Pato and Nilar and storms through it while giving our other players the necessary preparation going into the World Cup next year.
Carlos (Dunga) has named his Squad and new faces included are Internacional's Nilmar who has been rewarded for his fine domestic form of late, Ramirez who impressed in Beijing last year and Andre Santos who was given the nod ahead of Marcelo.. a controversial move in my books. Chelsea's Alex also received a call up since he has been extremely influential in the London sides recent run of form under his former coach Guus Hiddink.
Notable names left out are Werder Bremen's Diego who has been in sensational form for his club and Ronaldinho who has gone through a difficult first season in Italy with Lombardi Side AC Milan. Ronaldo who many including me hoped to see included in the Squad has been left out despite his phenomenal form for Corinthians because according to Dunga, he lacks the match fitness needed for the Selecao and isn't a 100% fit.
Brazil are scheduled to meet in Brazil on June 1st, where they will prepare thier 23-man squad that will be utilized face Uraguay (on the 6th of June) and Paraguay in the World Cup qualifiers in early June. The same squad will go on to train and compete in the Confederations Cup in South Africa.
Julio Cesar - Internazionale
Gomes - Tottenham
Victor - Grêmio
Maicon - Internazionale
Daniel Alves - Barcelona
Alex - Chelsea
Juan - Roma
Lúcio - Bayern de Munique
Luisão - Benfica
Kleber - Internacional
André Santos - Corinthians
Anderson - Manchester United
Gilberto Silva - Panathinaikos
Josué - Wolfsburg
Ramires - Cruzeiro
Elano - Manchester City
Felipe Melo - Fiorentina
Júlio Baptista - Roma
Kaká - Milan
Alexandre Pato - Milan
Luís Fabiano - Sevilla
Nilmar - Internacional
Robinho - Manchester City
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?