Demian Maia has been on a roll since moving to the welterweight division. At UFC Fight Night 29, in front of his home fans in Brazil, Maia will try to take one step closer to a shot at the 170-pound championship.
Meeting Maia will be Jake Shields. Although Shields has fallen from the top 10 since losing to champion Georges St-Pierre, his grappling makes him a legitimate challenge for a fellow jiu-jitsu practitioner in Maia.
In addition to the important welterweight main event, a second 170-pound bout will be contested on Wednesday. Fringe contenders Erick Silva and Dong Hyun Kim will both try to earn another shot at a welterweight contender when they face off in the co-main event on Fox Sports 1.
Furthermore, Thiago Silva and Matt Hamill will return to the Octagon for a pivotal bout in the careers of the UFC light heavyweight veterans.
At the conclusion of the fight card, several fighters will join a UFC official for the post-fight press conference, which can be viewed live on the above video player.
Below is the full UFC Fight Night 29 fight card.
UFC Fight Night 29 Main Card (Fox Sports 1 at 7 p.m. ET)
- Demian Maia vs. Jake Shields
- Erick Silva vs. Dong Hyun Kim
- Thiago Silva vs. Matt Hamill
- Fabio Maldonado vs. Joey Beltran
- Rousimar Palhares vs. Mike Pierce
- Raphael Assuncao vs. TJ Dillashaw
UFC 165 Fox Sports 1 Prelims (Fox Sports 1 at 5 p.m. ET)
- Ildemar Alcantara vs. Igor Araujo
- Yan Cabral vs. David Mitchell
- Iliarde Santos vs. Chris Cariaso
- Alan Patrick vs. Garett Whiteley