Paper Review: Man Utd Bid for Gareth Bale, Moyes Warning, Messi Gesture Denial

Ian RodgersWorld Football Staff WriterSeptember 25, 2013

Paper Review: Man Utd Bid for Gareth Bale, Moyes Warning, Messi Gesture Denial

0 of 5

    Shaun Botterill/Getty Images

    A Gareth Bale transfer story dominates the newspaper headlines on Wednesday. Just like old times, hey?

    The former Tottenham star's summer switch to Real Madrid was the long-running saga of the transfer window, but details of a Manchester United bid for the player are emerging.

    England have suffered an injury blow ahead of the final World Cup qualifiers next month, with Arsenal forward Theo Walcott ruled out of the games against Montenegro and Poland.

    Lionel Messi has denied making a rude gesture toward Barcelona head coach Gerardo Martino after being substituted during the win over Real Sociedad on Tuesday.

    Who else is making the headlines on Wednesday? Read on to find out more.

Details of Manchester United Bid for Gareth Bale Emerge

1 of 5

    Shaun Botterill/Getty Images

    Manchester United made a late £100 million move to prevent Gareth Bale joining Real Madrid, claims John Cross of the Daily Mirror.

    Cross reports that the Wales international even flew back from Spain to speak with United about a possible transfer from White Hart Lane.

    Pat Sheehan of The Sun (subscription required) says an offer of £120 million plus "mega wages and bonuses" were made to Tottenham and Bale.

    Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy was happy to accept the offer for Bale as the North London club's Premier League rivals were paying a premium for the player, according to Sheehan.

    However, it was Bale himself who decided against the move to Old Trafford, opting instead to make the £86 million switch to the Bernabeu—leaving United manager David Moyes "stunned," says The Sun article.

David Moyes Warns Things Could Get Worse for Manchester United

2 of 5

    Clive Brunskill/Getty Images

    Still with Manchester United, manager David Moyes has warned that things could get worse at the club before they get better, as Henry Winter of the Daily Telegraph reports.

    Winter claims that indications ahead of Tuesday's press conference had been that Moyes' assistant, Steve Round, would preview the Capital One Cup tie against Liverpool. However, the former Everton boss stepped into the breach to face the questioning in the wake of the 4-1 defeat at Manchester City on Sunday.

    Moyes did not come bearing gifts for United supporters, though. Instead, he admitted that the team faced the possibility of further drubbings with the squad in a period of transition.

    I know there will be days like we had on Sunday and there might be more of them because we are in a period where there will be a transition, there’s a new manager for the players, and in turn there will be new players as well at different times, so obviously that will happen.

    When you are a football manager for the length of time I’ve been, you are always going to have shocks. I’ve had lots. I’ve no doubt there will be more in the future.

    It might be all season I have to take a few blows but I knew this was going to be the case because I was taking over from a great manager and it was always going to take time for me to get my own ways and change things round a little bit. 

Lionel Messi Slams 'Media Lies' over Alleged Gesture to Barcelona Bench

3 of 5

    David Ramos/Getty Images

    Barcelona star Messi has angrily denied making a rude gesture toward coach Gerardo Martino and the bench after being substituted in the win over Real Sociedad on Tuesday, reports John Drayton of the Daily Mail.

    The Argentina international scored in the 4-1 La Liga win over Sociedad at the Camp Nou, but was withdrawn from the action after playing three matches in a week, according to the report.

    Spanish newspaper AS had claimed Messi expressed his displeasure at being substituted to the Barcelona bench, according to Drayton, but the world footballer of the year took to his official Facebook page to deny the reports.

    I didn't mean to make any gesture when Martino took me off.

    Nobody likes to be out, but we must accept it because it is the best for our team.

    What I will not accept is that certain media tell lies about any situation that happens around me

    Barcelona's win, which also included goals from Neymar, Sergio Busquets and Marc Bartra, maintained the club's 100 percent start to the season. 

Arsenal Star Theo Walcott Blow for England World Cup Qualification

4 of 5

    Shaun Botterill/Getty Images

    England manager Roy Hodgson has suffered a major blow ahead of the final 2014 World Cup qualifiers against Montenegro and Poland, with Walcott ruled out of both games, reports Paul Brown of the Daily Star among other newspapers on Wednesday.

    The Arsenal winger was a late withdrawal from the squad before the 3-1 win over Stoke City on Sunday with a stomach problem.

    Further tests revealed Walcott will need surgery on his abdomen and will be out for a "few weeks" according to Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger.

    Theo will be out for a few weeks. He has developed some damage to his posterior abdominal wall.

    It's not a hernia, but it's a little structural problem in his abdomen. He will have the procedure in Germany and, because it's so minor, we can begin his rehab immediately.

    He shouldn't miss too many matches. But he will miss the forthcoming England matches.

Bits and Pieces: Andrea Pirlo, Luis Suarez, Jose Mourinho, Sunderland

5 of 5

    Valerio Pennicino/Getty Images

    Juventus midfielder Andrea Pirlo could be about to start a major scramble among leading Premier League clubs, reports Oliver Barnet of the Daily Star.

    Barnet claims Juve coach Antonio Conte has indicated that the veteran Italy international will not be offered a new contract with the Turin club, according to reports—adding that Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United and Tottenham will be interested in the 34-year-old.

    Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho shed tears after missing out on the chance to replace Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United, reports Ed Malyon of the Daily Mirror.

    Mourinho has been linked with a move for FC Porto defender Eliaquim Mangala in January, according to John Cross of the Daily Mirror.

    Chelsea trio Juan Mata, Fernando Torres and Cesar Azpilicueta are being monitored by Barcelona, claims James Dickenson of the Daily Express.

    The sacking of Sunderland manager Paolo Di Canio on Sunday is still making waves, with former Brighton boss Gus Poyet the favourite to succeed the Italian, according to John Cross of the Daily Mirror.

    Liverpool striker Luis Suarez is set to make his return from a 10-match suspension in the Capital One Cup against Manchester United on Wednesday, and Ana Laura Lissardy of The Guardian has outlined the formative years of the Uruguay international's life with extracts from a new book.