Alexander Gustafsson Hospitalized After Fight with Jon Jones

Jordy McElroyCorrespondent ISeptember 22, 2013

Alexander Gustafsson - Esther Lin/MMAFighting
Alexander Gustafsson - Esther Lin/MMAFighting

Alexander Gustafsson has reportedly been hospitalized after an epic five-round battle with Jon Jones at UFC 165.

UFC President Dana White broke the news during the post-fight press conference immediately following the fight:

So you want to know what a good fight that was? Neither the champ or the challenger will be here. Jones is already at the hospital, and they’re taking Gustafsson to the hospital. That’s how good that fight was. I don’t think we’ve ever had that happen.

Gustafsson, who was a major underdog coming into the bout, gave the light heavyweight champ all he could handle for 25 minutes in a bout garnering early attention as a potential “Fight of the Year” candidate.

Jones was awarded a close unanimous decision in the end, but with the victory, he may have also found his first legitimate rival.

Gustafsson wasn’t the only fighter making a trip to the hospital, as both fighters left the cage bloodied and battered.

After the fight, ESPN’s Brett Okamoto broke the news that Jones had been loaded on a stretcher and immediately taken to the hospital.

White wasn’t able to elaborate on the injuries for either fighter during the post-fight presser.

Gustafsson took several elbows from Jones on the feet throughout the bout. One in particular in the fourth round dazed him and opened up a huge gash on his forehead.

Much has been made about Gustafsson matching Jones’ size and reach, but perhaps the most overlooked advantages for Gustafsson heading into the bout were his superior speed and footwork.

Jones appeared completely dumbfounded at times, as Gustafsson shuffled in and out of range. The Swede’s much-improved wrestling was definitely something to behold. Along with being the first man to put Jones on his back in the UFC, Gustafsson was also able to fend off nearly every takedown attempt from the champ.

MMA fans are already clamoring for a rematch, but White remained noncommittal at the post-fight press conference.

According to White, the decision will likely depend on the severity of the injuries.